Homemade Ice Cream

For Father's Day this year Cosette and I surprised Lyndon with an ice cream maker. I remember when we were dating/engaged he and his family would talk about how good home made ice cream was. I remember because I was like its okay because the stuff my family would make never turned out good (I think our ice cream maker was defective. Our ice cream would taste like salt at the bottom. Yuck!). So with Father's Day as a good excuse we got him one so we could fulfill his dreams of having homemade ice cream. Oh man! I am so happy we did. My childhood memories of homemade ice cream have been banished and replaced with the sweet taste of what our ice cream maker has produced. It helps that we have a fantastic recipe. We have made vanilla and cookies 'n' cream so far. Next we are going to try out a chocolate ice cream recipe. 


This is the kind we got. It is not fancy but gets the job done. I love it because most times homemade ice cream turns out kind of soft serve, but the stuff we have been making hardens up in the freezer once you put it in for a few hours. Tastes just like Mayfield Ice cream/Kirkland brand vanilla. I do not know how many times I can say YUM before you get the picture. 


Voila! We ate it with some rhubarab pie. We used this recipe for the filling. Best combo ever!

Vanilla Ice Cream

1 cup heavy cream
1 cupe whole milk
1 vanilla bean, spilt lengthwise and seeds scraped*
5 large egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar

Combine the heavy cream, milk and scraped vanilla bean seeds in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Whisk the egg yolks an sugar in a medium bowl until pale and fluffy. Carefully pour the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly to make sure the eggs do not cook.
Transfer the mixture back to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until it is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon or until the temperature reaches 180 F. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean bowl set over and ice bath. Once cold, freeze the custard in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions. Yields 2 1/2 cups. Recipe from Fresh from the Market Seasonal Cooking with Laurent Tourondel and Charlotte March, this is my favorite book out of all my cookbooks.

*I just use 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla extract instead of the vanilla bean. If you do use the vanilla extract put it into the mixture just before you put it in the icecream machine. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remote Learning Part 1

The Tooth Fairy and Tons of Pink Tulle

Saint Patrick's Day