Gingerbread Extravaganza!

Every year the Le Parker Meridien Hotel hosts a gingerbread extravaganza. Bakeries and restaurants around the city make gingerbread creations that goes a long with the extravaganza's theme. This year the theme was "quintessential New York". Being an amateur baker (at least I like to think of myself as an amateur baker) I really wanted to go and see the gingerbread houses. I also saw photos a friend posted on instagram and the gingerbread creations looked fantastic. A Christmas tradition I had growing up was making gingerbread houses, and I have tried to carry on the tradition the last couple of years so another reason to spark the interest to venture to midtown. It was worth it! The event is basically free, I saw on a website I found that tickets were a dollar, but once there the concierge said they just took donations and the exhibit was free.

The Empire State Building!!! This picture I saw on instagram of this one is the reason I wanted to come see it. It is a culinary marvel. Okay, each of these gingerbread "houses" are, but for some reason the Empire State Building just takes the cake. I thought this would be my favorite going to the exhibit, but after looking at them all I had a change of heart.

The Chrysler Building turned out to be my favorite. I love the detail on it. All those windows are individual pieces of some sort of candy (I think). And the Christmas décor of at the bottom of the building is what puts it ahead of the Empire State Building. I love the Christmas wreaths that are on it. Don't worry Empire State Building, you are still the most romantic place on Earth.
 
The "Love Statue" is a work of art. The chefs who put this one together are true artists. It was spectacular! The frosting on the gingerbread dogs surrounding it look like it was painted on. The detail that was put in to it was fantastic. I sent Lyndon this picture:
 
 because he is my love. Anyway, he thought I was actually at the Love Statue. Job well done by the creators on this one.
 

The miniature subway station was adorable. I love the colorful candy that was used on this one. So cute.

I included this picture of it because Cosette helped me take it. You can see us in the reflection. Makes me happy.
 

I cannot remember what building this one is, but it does not look like it is made out a baked good.


 
This one is of  New York City Street. It reminds me of Sesame Street. I took a side view picture of it because there is an entrance to a subway. Definitely stuck with the quintessential New York theme.
 
 
The best part was going with one of Cosette's good friends. It made the trip a lot more enjoyable. If only I could get these cute girls to look at the camera. Oh, the ornaments on this Christmas tree were made out of cookies too. Pretty neat. Another thing to check off on our Christmas bucket list.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day