Kinsale

We spent a day in Kinsale. It is a beautiful little village about 15 minutes away from where we were staying. I had read that Kinsale is a top reason to visit County Cork because of it's picturesque pork and beautiful coastline. Charles and James forts are also located there. And it is known for its good food. We were sold. We had to go visit Kinsale. 

We first visited Charles Fort just out side the village. This fort was built after the English defeated the Irish and Spanish in the early 17th century at the Battle of Kinsale. The remnants of the British fort are very well preserved. It is a unique fort because it is a star fort. It looks similar to Fort Ticonderoga in New York State. Since it is up on a mountain it has great views of the area. 

This map of the fort is on the ground at the entrance. It illustrates the star shape of the fort. 

Our beautiful girl. 




If you cannot tell it was very very windy that day.

The beautiful coast.
Ireland is so beautiful! We could not help ourselves from taking so many pictures of the landscape. One great thing about Ireland is that much the country is these pristine landscapes that have not been taken over and commercialized. It is natural and "wild". 
You can see Kinsale Village off in the distance behind me. 
We walked from the fort to Kinsale Village. It was a pleasant walk minus the rain. We can say we really saw Kinsale since we walked up and down the hills all the way to the city. There were some really nice colored doors. I believe it is where I saw the magenta door. I am in love with it!
On our walk to the village we could see out to where the other British star fort, James Fort was. 
The Bulman Pub, where Cosette and I had our first fish 'n chips experience. It was the best fish 'n chips experience I could have asked for. It was divine, as divine as fried food can be. I could have gone back and had more for dinner. All the fish served there was caught with in a 50 mile radius of Kinsale. I am in favor of eating local and fresh is best. It was on our walk into the village. The view we had was beautiful. It is right on the bay in between Charles Fort and Kinsale Village. It was probably the best pub experience one cold hope for. 


Cosette loves French fries! Sh will not eat potatoes unless they are French fries. I have started calling all potatoes French fries to get her to eat them. It is working. Lyndon ordered the sea food chowder and was thrilled. The Bullman Pub was good all around. We give it two thumbs up!

Me and Henry loved our fish 'n chips.
The boats anchored down in the harbor. Lyndon wanted to take one out sailing. He is my Indiana Jones.


Cosette wanted me to take her picture. We needed a break and ventured into this little restaurant. There surprise surpise we got some hot chocolate. Lyndon was hungry again and indulged in a lemon cheesecake. It was so rich and so delicious. Two bites was enough for me. I wish we had time to go back to Kinsale on this trip because it is another foodie mecca. I did not know this but you go to Kinsale to eat. It is the city that was the leader in creating the Irish small town tradition of fine dining.

From there we walked up a hill a little ways to Kinsale Castle which is nothing compared to Blarney Castle or the Rock of Cashe,l but it is still a castle. I am not one to miss up the chance to see a castle even if it is a small one. It is now a wine museum. I love that even tiny villages in Ireland have their own castles.

This is the last Ireland post! I am happy that they are all up. I hope you have enjoyed hearing about our Irish adventures. We are looking forward to go back. I have already started planning and starting to get really excited for all there is to see in this beautiful country.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day