Normandy Day 2: Utah Beach and Other D-Day sites

For Americans, Normandy is probably best known to us as where D-day occurred. It is part of the Normandy experience and this is part of our American history. We had to check it out, plus the beach is called Utah Beach. It is like we are almost home. 

These areas were intense battle zones so maybe because of that I was not expecting it to be a really pretty area. But this is France, and France is beautiful! So much more so than I ever imagined. We were all surprised at its beauty. I guess I did not expect it to look very different from the States, and it does not look more exotic than what we are used to. It is just a lot more beautiful than I thought it would be. 
Our first stop of the day was Utah Beach. There is the Utah Beach Museum which is located on the spot where the American troops landed on June 6, 1944. Pretty incredible! We were walking on historical soil.  
My boys. Cosette and I adore our Daddy and Henrine (that is how she says Henry, so sweet!). 


The coolest part of the museum was seeing the Martin B-266 Marauder. Lyndon spent a lot of time looking at the plane, and Cosette and I spent a lot of time chasing each other around it. Good times on our Plothow travels. 
Found a map with our location on it. 
Taking a break in the Briefing Room. It should be the break room, haha. 



We miss New York a lot. Fun to see it mentioned. It does not seem it is that far away, relatively speaking.
Utah beach was really beautiful. The water was nice and blue. I was expecting a more murky green-brown looking water like the Atlantic that I am used to back home. But this water was a beautiful close to a tropical blue. We were pleasantly surprised.

Looking at this picture would you think that this was France? I will say it again, Utah Beach was incredibly beautiful. 
Lyndon and Cosette keeping to a tradition of running in and out with the waves. Cosette did fall in a get her pants partially soaked. It's all a part of the toddler running in water experience. I minded more than she did about getting wet. She is the best.
Our sandy foot prints. I love Cosette little ones.
The memorial that over looks Utah Beach.
It is kind of hard to believe that this was a place of intense battle back in WWII. It is so beautiful and serene now.

This church is in the town right before you get to Utah Beach. The story is that American snipers were up in teh church tower and took out several German Officers during the war. Standing in historical places. 
Our second stop of the day was Omaha Beach and American Cemetery. This is the third American Cemetery we have been to abroad. The first was in Cambridge and the second in the Philippines. Lyndon took the kids and went on in. I sad to say accidently fell asleep in the car and enjoyed myself a half hour nap. Luckily I did wake up and was able to run in and enjoy the sites with them. 



We are so grateful for those brave soldiers who protect our country and all the freedoms that we have. We are enjoying our time abroad, but Proud to be Americans!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remote Learning Part 1

The Tooth Fairy and Tons of Pink Tulle

Saint Patrick's Day