My Best Friend's Wedding

H and I flew down to Tennessee last weekend for my best friend's wedding, also known as the best wedding ever! Seriously, I have not been to a wedding where everyone was so happy and use their talents to create such a wonderful event. The atmosphere there was oozing love and joy. I am so happy that I was able to be apart of their story.

Melissa and I have been friends since we were ten years old. We swam on the same swim team, which is where she and her now husband, Derek, met. I remember the day we became friends. We were at a Pilot swim meet and we hung out the in between events, and she invited me over to her house and that was it. We have been friends ever since.

Melissa asked me to be her Matron of Honor. I was so flattered. I had never been in a wedding party, except for my sister's wedding, but I was 35 weeks pregnant with Henry. So not that glamorous. I had never been a part of a wedding outside the LDS tradition. Lots of differences but a lot of similarities. The biggest similarity was all the love for this couple that was there. It was palpable. It was beautiful.
The James family on Mel's last night as a James. I love this family. So many memories with them in it. I am glad to add this one. 

The bridesmaids all piled in the car with the bride to get wedding ready.

Our dresses. Melissa had very few requirements when it came to our dresses. They needed to be a autumn orange or red and evening gown length. Shoes and accessories were our choice. 
The bride gave us a these robes as a little gift for being a part of the wedding along with a necklace with a charm that Melissa made especially for each of us. Mine had the Eiffel Tower, a swimmer, and a ruby my birth stone. She is the most thoughtful person! 
Ready to help this lady walk down the aisle. 

And a sillly one to get rid of some nerves. These ladies are awesome. I had met a few before, but did not them to well. It did not take long to figure out these ladies are awesome!
Mr. and Mrs. Derek Willis!
The couple walking into the reception hall, so now we can party!

The girls again. The wedding party sat at the front of the 
First dance.
Father of the bride giving a speech.

The wedding cake going on with the fall theme. It was delicious, but the caterers took it away before I could get seconds.
The groom's cake. Kind of fantastic! The groom is real outdoorsy so rock climbing cake naturally. Melissa's brother made the rock climbers! Pretty impressive talent there.
Since I was the matron of honor, Melissa asked me to give a little speech. I spoke about how we were all there because of the world's greatest sport, swimming. That is where Melissa and I met, and she met her husband swimming too! Seriously guys, if you want to find your best friend or soul mate join a swim team. It worked out on both accounts for Mel and D.

I was surprised they did not try to smash the cake into each other's faces. 
Father-daughter dance.

The mother-son dance was the best. Derek's family are from Wisconsin and are big big Green Bay Packer's fans. For the mother-son dance they danced to the Green Bay fan song "The Bears Still Suck". Not joking. That was the title of the song. I guess Chicago are their big rivals and they sing it whenever they play Chicago. Paper with the lyrics on it were passed around to everyone so we could sing along while they mother and son did the polka. 

One of the groom's man is a Chicago fan, and this was his face during the song. Talk about hilarious. 
We sent them off with a sparkling farewell.

Congratulations Melissa and Derek!
I am so glad I got to be a part of your day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day