Things We Have Done Way Back in 2011

I found a couple of posts the other day that I wrote during our time in Cambridge and shortly before Cosette was born. I have no idea why I never published them, but for family history purposes I am sharing them now. These are events that took place May/June 2011. I was eight months pregnant with Cosette and Lyndon was finishing his masters program in Cambridge. Enjoy this first blast from the past. 

We really took advantage of our last term spent in Cambridge. Both of us were keeping busy with school. I finished two of my three independent study courses and Lyndon completed his dissertation. We were living in a different part of the city so we visited some of the colleges that were closer to us. Lyndon found this really nice used bookstore in the city centre. We have gotten a start on our library with a beautifully illustrated copy of Wind in the Willows and original fairy tales plus a couple more. The night we decided to attend evensong at King's College happened to be the requiem mass for Henry VI. It was not the traditional evensong and the master of the college presided over the mass. 

Lyndon signed me up for a chocolate making class for Mother's Day at one of the local chocolate shops, Chocolat Chocolat. I learned so much! We got to taste all sort of different single origin chocolates as well as some interesting flavors like lavender and rose. My favorite chocolate flavor sample we tried was a milk chocolate caramel with sea salt. It was divine! After tasting all that chocolate I can say that my favorite chocolate is 72% dark Peruvian, so good. We also learned how to make truffles. The proprietor of the shop taught the class. She was trained in France and taught us the French way of truffle making. It was the best present I could have ever given. Thank you Lyndon!
We did a lot of punting. We were invited to go punting with a friend and his children and we also got a group together and went punting up to Grandchester.
King's College.

Wren Library.


St. John's from the Cam River. 
Punting to Grandchester was a lot of fun. Many of Cambridge's many famous writers would go up the way to Grandchester. It is easy to understand why they would go up that way. It is so beautiful and peaceful. It would be very easy to draw inspiration from the beautiful scenery. Lyndon punted the whole way to Grandchester. There is one point on the trip where we had to carry the punt across a path to another part of the river. That was a little bit of a challenge but we made it! 
Lyndon is the punting master!

The sight of King's College Chapel never gets old.
The Mathematical Bridge. Cambridge has great bridges. 

The ducks are used to people and being fed by them so every time we passed a group of ducks they would start swimming towards our punt.
Ducklings! Probably the cutest thing we will ever see.
The beautiful English countryside. 


The girls in the group.

Dan riding his bike across the field to meet us.


I had my first punting experience too. I consider it was a success because I did not fall into the river! 

Pubs are not only for those who want to drink. We met up with some friends and had an excellent time. I wish we had gone out to a few more pubs. Black currant lemonade is delicious.  
I was invited to visit Gilwell Park with a couple of friends. It is an activity center and campsite for Boy Scouts in the England. I jumped at the opportunity to go because my Dad is Scoutmaster of a troop and is scouting obsessed. I documented my outing and tried to get as much information about Gilwell to tell him all about it. 
A bison pic for Bethany. 
Like in normal English fashion the weather was terrible that day. Rain, rain, all day long.



Georgeous flower. I love the pop of red.


I took this picture for Lyndon to use as a model for our future home we hope to build one day. 
A totem pole with all the locations of the world jamborees and how far they are from this point.
Chile for Lyndon.
Tokyo for my family.

I thought this picture was beautiful and a lovely depiction of the service that Boy Scouts provide.
Robert Baden-Powell, Chief Scout of the Boy Scouts Association.
Sunday walk along the backs. It is so beautiful and peaceful back there. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day