Barron Family Reunion 2015

This was the big one. The planning for this family reunion has been in the planning since 2011. I remember the meeting because I was super pregnant with Cosette. I think it is a tradition for me to be pregnant during this reunion because it is my third time being pregnant during a reunion. The plan was for everyone in the Barron clan to come out and we rented cabins up in the Smoky Mountains aka the Smokies if you are from the area, and we would have a grand old time. And so we did! Cousins I have not seen since I was 16 were there as well as my cousin who lives in Japan with her family. It was really nice to have most of the family together. It's been a long time. There were still a few missing because of school, missions, work and they were dearly missed. Lucky this is an annual tradition so we can see them next year hopefully.
There are so many little kids now, that every morning we had an activity for them. This particular morning was on bugs. They made little lightning bugs out of Easter eggs, and had some bug themed snacks. 
Aunt Sabrena lead music time.
Cosette, Scarlett, and Kellyn.
Singing the little ducklings song.
Henry found a rocking chair his size.
We went on a couple of short hikes. The Smokies had a lot of free programs for families. We attended one of the programs where we went on a short hike and learned about the National Park. Henry had a great time looking at all the trees and picking up rocks. 

Best seat in the house on Uncle David's shoulders.
He was a head taller than anyone else, haha.
The hike ended at an old school house where we learned about school back in the early 1900s in the Smokies. The Park rangers passed around some school pictures of the students who attended during that time. They taught us a game that was similar to "duck, duck, goose". Cosette loved it. She really wanted to get picked to run around the circle, but it did not work out. 

The gang.



Dad found a really big toad.
Cakewalk activity we did one night. 
Henry loved it, especially the cake!
We ventured into Gatlinburg one afternoon to look at the shops and enjoy being in the foothills of the smokies.
Lyndon in front of the taffy pulling machine. 
The Dunn kids minus Eston in Gatlinburg. This picture shows how short I am compared to the rest of them, haha. It was a lot of fun spending time together. Its been about a year since this many of us have been together. 
Getting ready for the 4th! 


We found a nice pottery store that featured a lot of products made locally. 
Bacon cookers! I guess you put it on a hot stove top and let it heat up and then place the bacon on the cup part and it cooks it. It has to be a Southern thing. 
Henry loved playing on the pool table organizing all of the balls. 
Our second hike was my favorite. It was really short again because of me and the kids. There were several streams that we played in. Cosette was especially excited about the water. She found several neat rocks, including one that had stripes like a tiger. The best part of the hike was singing "The Wheels on the Bus". After we went through the normal version Cosette put everyone's name into the song and said something that they did on the bus. It was hilarious! The David's on the bus say "I want to grab you", Grandpa's on the bus say "go to bed", the Leslie's on the bus say "I love Zamp (her dog)", the Sam's on the bus say "I love the children", the Ellen's on the bus say "I want to bite you", the Bethany's on the bus say "I like cars". It was really funny, especially when David asked her to change what the David's on the bus say and then she changed it to "I want to eat you", haha. Her humour these days is awesome!

The mountains here are so beautiful. I enjoyed the hikes we went on and feeling lost in the forest.
My hiking crew with the best smiles. 
The cabin that we stopped at in the middle of our hike. It made our NYC apartment look huge.

We had a night devoted to Barron family history. We played a trivia game about my Mom's siblings. We all learned a lot of really funny and interesting things about my aunt's and uncles, and my Mom. Aunt Kathy, and Uncle Keith were called the runts. Aunt Sabrena was accused of spitting into the popcorn, which she denies. Aunt Carol was the first one to graduate from College. Mom always spilled her drink every meal. The family dog was a reject gift that Aunt Kathy received from one of her many suitors.
My Mom also put together a slideshow about the William's (my Grandma's family) and the Barron's. We all learned a lot about our family. 
A  couple of photos from the cabin one night. It was beautiful.
I think that we can all agree that this reunion was a success. I am grateful that this tradition has continued throughout the years. Even though not everyone can come every year, it is great to see those who can be there, reconnect, and build relationships. Family is the most important thing we have in this world. Your friends come and go, but family is forever. Till next year Barron clan!

Comments

  1. Yay! I love seeing this through your perspective :) It was an amazing time

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remote Learning Part 1

The Tooth Fairy and Tons of Pink Tulle

Traveling Half Way around the World