Happy Birthday America!


My Mom's family always has their annual family reunion the week of July 4th. It has been that way as far back as I remember. It's great to celebrate with family, especially family that does not live in the area. The days' activities have changed over the years, but all being together as a big Barron family has not.

The newest tradition is the Barron 5k run which is held the morning of July 4th. And of course, my Mother is the one who started and organizes it every year being the avid runner that she is. We used to do a 5k in Knoxville, but the registration fees started becoming ridiculous so we started our own. I have only been able to run it once because I have been mostly pregnant when it is going on. So I walk it instead. We always start by singing the Star Spangled Banner and saying a prayer. My parents bring a flag down to the marina and hang it up in the pavilion. I really like that tradition because I do not feel like I get many opportunities to sing our national anthem. 

Lyndon and Cosette lead the pack for the first little bit this year. Then she got tired and ran back with me, Henry, Aunt Leslie, and Aunt Bethany. We do the run down by the marina in our town. It's gorgeous and peaceful. My brother David won the race this year. Lyndon came in next, and then my parents. The Dunn clan for the win!
Fellow walkers Kelsey, Joe, Aunt Carol, and Baby Joey. 
Here comes David! I like to think that if I was not pregnant that I would have won because I came in second last year after my brother Eston which means I was in front of David. But probably not. My baby brother is a big guy! He definitely schools me in walking because he is so tall (6'5'' and he's only 16!). 
Aunt "Bunny" with Cosette and her tree star. 
Go Daddy!!! I am such a dork, because every time someone would run by us I would cheer and then hold out my hand for a five as they would run by. 
Of course Grandma and Grandpa are running together. Mom has had a running injury that she has been getting over this year. We are telling her to take it easy and she kind of has been. She has been slow to start running again, but while she couldn't run she started biking. My nightmares of her doing an ironman are coming true because she can run, swim, and now bike. But if anyone I know could do an ironman it would be her. She is a tremendous athlete. 
Cousin Lauren and one of Boo's dogs. Lauren lives in Japan with her family and does not come to the states very often. She was the best host to us on our trip over there. I am so glad that she and her family came for the reunion this year. 
Leslie "Trail Blazer Dunn" and Mr. H. She was my hero and pushed Henry in the stroller because I am so pregnant that going upstairs wears me out. I enjoyed walking with my sisters and getting to talk to them on our "leisurely" walk. We have all gone our separate directions and it is a real treat to get to spend time together.
His face in this one. I love him!
Beautiful Oak Ridge, Tennessee. Everytime I come home I marvel at its beauty and cannot believe that I grew up in such a beautiful place and did not realize it until I left. 
Ellen finishing the race!
Ardele and dog. He is the coolest. But seriously, the coolest. 
Aunt Carol, Boo, and dog. She and her husband are training a couple of their dogs to go backpacking with them. The dog has a little pack it carries on its back with its water and other dog supplies. I love it!

This year the weather was pretty horrible. It was the coolest July 4th there ever was, I mean 77 degrees was the high which is unheard of this time of year. It also rained on and off during the day which kind of killed our lake plans. Or I'm just lame because cold water and wet sand does not sound like fun to me. We went to the movies and had a cookout at home. The weather cooperated enough that the rain was gone by the evening so we could go see the fireworks! It's been years since I have seen fireworks on the 4th. The last time was when I was pregnant with Cosette, so I guess its been four years. My town does a really nice firework display every year. We gather at the high school with our blankets and fold up chairs and enjoy the show. 
This was Cosette's first time seeing fireworks. She liked them for the most part, especially the pink ones. She is becoming a real ham, doing all sorts of funny faces for us all the time.  
The Penalbas, Aunt Sabrena, Gaston, Rachel, and Uncle Gaston. 
Cosette and "Grandma" Sabrena.
Bethany and Momma. 
Cosette with Kellan, and Ammon. They are all the same age. There was a bunch of us cousins who had babies the year Cosette was born so she has plenty of playmates when all the family is in town.  
She and Scarlett have become good buddies over the years. I love how excited she is to be playing with her. 
They are birthday buddies as well. They are only three days apart. I actually share a birthday with Scarlett. 
Me with cousin Sarah and big boy Aldon. He is too big to be called a baby. He is the same age as Henry. Yeah, we all had babies the year Henry was born too. I think we even all had boys. One cousin was told she was having a girl and when the baby was born it was a boy. Crazy! Sarah's birthday is on the 4th as well. It's a big day in the family.
The Grandmas got Coco and Scarlett matching skirts last year to wear for the 4th. 
Cosette with the Dayley clan watching the fireworks. It makes me happy to see how much the family is growing! 

The fireworks! The conditions not ideal (think big cloud of firework smoke drifting between us and the fireworks), but I was so happy to see it anyway. 
Happy Birthday USA! I am so proud to call this country my home. It really is the most free country in the world. We are so blessed to call it our home.

Past July 4th's here, here, and here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remote Learning Part 1

The Tooth Fairy and Tons of Pink Tulle

Traveling Half Way around the World