Our Tennessee Summer


Summer in the South is best described in Harper Lee's novel To Kill a Mockingbird. I do not know the exact quote, but I remember an exert in the book where she describes the humidity being so thick that it's like everyone being covered in a layer of frosting. I love that vivid description and it is so true! Getting off the airplane with the kids and humidity immediately hugged us like a blanket. I get such comfort from that, funny how the things we grew up with stay with us like that. And call me crazy, but I love humidity. I makes my hair wavy, and my skin nice and soft.

The kids and I are spending a few weeks here before I cannot travel anymore. That time is getting closer and closer, which means baby is getting closer and closer! I cannot wait! Give me back my body. I have been so active and then I get down here and I have been on the couch too tired to do anything. I guess since I can relax all that going and going and going we do on a daily basis in the city has caught up to me. I am couch ridden, and I need some lemonade.
The first weekend we were there we drove down to Cookeville where my Dad grew up for decoration at the cemetery. The kids are hugging in front of my Ma and Pa's grave. It was a really sweet day for me, not really sure why. I guess being there with family and honoring those family members who are now gone makes a person sentimental. It was a special day. I told the kids about their Greatma and Greatpa. We talked about the plan of salvation and why Jesus died for us.  
They found a little angel. 
Helping Grandma put some flowers on Ma's grave. I am named after her. She was such a sweet lady. Every time we would go and visit she would always tell me "Chrissy, you're so purdy". Not pretty, but purdy. We are Southerners. I miss her.
With Ma and Pa's grave. I bet they hung out with them in heaven before they came to Earth. 
We had fun playing with all the new toys that were at Grandma's.
Henry riding the horse. 
Cosette went the fastest!
We are soaking in all of the summer time goodness we can, swimming pools, festivals, homemade play dough, chick-fil-a, time with friends, and with family. Going along with the To Kill a Mockingbird theme, Cosette and Henry are the Dill of their group of friends. We made a lot of good friends down here last summer which makes coming to visit a lot more fun. Cosette especially looks forward to getting together with her friends. She still has not decided which of the boys she is going to marry, haha. There are two little boys here that she likes to play with and cannot decide which one to marry, so she says she is going to marry both of them! Funny if it actually worked out with one in real life.
We made it in time for the Secret City Festival my town hosts every year. This was the natural parks station and they had a few birds. We were lucky and got to pet the owl. 
Cosette went down the fire truck slide over and over again.
The Little Ponderosa came with a bunch of animals. 
They had the genius idea of putting the animal feed into ice cream cones which made it so easy for the kids to feed them. And the animals could eat the cone as well.

Favorite part of the day was the pony rides. Henry kept saying "I ride the pony". He was having the time of his life. If he had asked me to go again the answer would have been most definitely yes!
Cosette is pony riding champion. So good she can ride one handed.
There was a fantastic kids corner with the perfect toys and activities for them. We loved playing with these little cars.
It always takes me a few days to get adjusted to being back home. The kids too, well just Cosette right now. Henry on the other hand is good as long as he is with Momma, or Grandpa. He has taken up with my Dad so well. They are best buds, which my Dad does not mind at all. How could anyone, especially when this sweet boy runs up to you and gives you a hug? You just can't!
 







We got to be there to celebrate Aunt Ellen's birthday! Two years in a row now. 

Best Aunt award goes to her because she let Cosette help her blow out her candles. 
Henry's first selfie. I love how much concentrated he is on getting it right, haha.
The kids took swimming lessons while down here. They did a fantastic job! Cosette really took off. Before she was nervous to be let go even when she was wearing a life jacket. Now she will jump off the side of the pool without someone catching her, go underwater, swim underwater, swim by herself (with the help of water wings). I am really proud of the progress she has made and feels comfortable in the water. Henry did lessons too, with me. We did a Mommy and Me class. It was fun being with him and helping him get even more comfortable in the water than he already is (he will walk into the shallow end of the pool by himself until it is up to his eyeballs). He worked on his "swimming arms" jumping off the side of the pool, kicking (which he is was already great at), and going underwater. They both successfully passed and can move onto the next level! It makes me happy that they both have natural swimming ability, being an avid swimmer myself. First swim lessons, then onto the Olympics! 
Both kids participated in the library's summer reading program. We enjoyed reading a lot of books together. Some of our favorites were The Pigeon Needs a Bath, Edwina the Dinosaur who didn't know She was Extinct, Christmas in the Big Woods, Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs, and Mix it Up were some of our favorites that we read over and over.
Picnics with friends. I love all those kids!
Princesses at Market Square was the highlight of one of our outings. Thanks Ariel and Cinderella for hanging out with us.
Had a blast at the Market Square splash pad. 


Watching their leaves float through the tunnel and down the stream.
We are Star Wars fans through and through. The Children's Museum fixed up the space room and we felt like we were on Mars. 

We celebrated a really good friend daughter's first birthday and got to enjoy these amazing cut outs my friend made. She is so talented! I love my wild things.
Me and my Grandma. I love this lady so much! She is so good to us. The kids loved spending time with their "Baba" while we were there. I'm 35 weeks in this photo. I cannot wait for Grandma to meet our little one. 

Goodbye's are hard and no fun at all. We are going to miss all of our friends here. We are looking forward to our next trip down South.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day