Happy Deepavali! Our first Outing to Little India

 
Ever since I have started doing research on Singapore, and found out there is a Little India here I have been dying to go. Deepavali was on Tuesday and it is a public holiday in Singapore which meant Lyndon got work off!

Deepavali is the most important holiday celebrated by the Hindus and Sikhs. They celebrate the triumph of good over evil. They believe that all the souls of those who have passed return to earth this day.  It is also known as the festival of lights because thousands of lights are lit  to guide souls of those who have passed on back to the afterworld.
Subway art at the Little India MRT stop.
 
 

Add It was a little crazy taking the kids. We did not take our stroller because we were not sure how busy it was going to be down there being a holiday and all. We took two carriers so we could carry the boys and away we went. It was so fun! I was a really excited to be down there. Not that we have been to India or anything, but Lyndon said it really feels like we were in India. We hit up Mustafa's which is a big warehouse market where you can pretty much get anything. We went to the basement where there were rows, stacks of fabric. It was beautiful and I want to sew something right now. Lots and lots of stuff there. I am going to go back. This is a little girls dress we found there that we thought was so pretty.
We walked down the main road Serangoon. It is lined with shops and apartments and was very busy that day. I snapped this picture of a man making chapati bread. It's not the best picture, but I wanted to capture the atmosphere and what was going on down there.
 

We passed the most famous temple down there, Sri Veeramakaliamman Temple. It was so interesting! It was very ornately decorated with all sorts of Hindu gods. They sit up on the roof watching over Little India. I want to go inside sometime. There were hoards of people trying to get into worship so we did not try, but I am so glad we saw it. It is one of Singapore's oldest temples and if for the Hindu gods Vinayagar, Viswanathan, and Kalie. We did not do anything exciting, but I was having a blast.



We entered a few of the shops and looked around. One had all sorts of décor, I guess you would say, and I wanted to buy a lot of it. We did not stay as long as either Lyndon or I would have liked because we were literally bulls in a china shop with the kiddos, but it was so neat. Cosette liked it and wanted to touch and buy everything. If we ever have a house I am going to buy the little elephant statue and put it in our garden, because we will have a garden and will need an elephant to guard it. I just decided that. The other shop we went into was a small toy store run by a bunch of Malay guys. They were so nice and showed us all of the different toys, trying to barter with us. Three for five ma'am.



We found a street bazar and check it out. It was full of these hanging mobiles (that is how I can best describe them). They were all beautiful. We are going to get some to put into our apartment once we move into it.






The last place we visited was the Tekka market where you go to buy you sari. We found a shop on the upper level that had all sorts of saris. They were stunning! We are going to save our money and buy some for each of us so we can be outfitted as a family. I am excited!
 
Little India was fantastic! I cannot wait to go back.
Happy Deepavali!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remote Learning Part 1

The Tooth Fairy and Tons of Pink Tulle

Traveling Half Way around the World