Singapore's River Safari

The River Safari another zoo right next to the Singapore Zoo that focuses on rivers. They have exhibits on rivers from around the globe and giant pandas! I really like this one because it is big enough that it is worth making the trek out there, but it's not too big. Also, all the pathways are covered so we can still go in the rain. We took Lyndon with us one Saturday because we had to show him all the things that we talk about.

At the entrance there is this light image thingy (I have no idea what it's called). Hollographic? Anyway, you walk throught it and it looks like you are walking through water.
The first river is the Mississippi River! And Cosette found Tennessee!
Alligator Snapping Turtle. I've seen those in the wild in Tennessee. There was a giant one that was up against the window in the lunch room in elementary school. We all took turns looking at it. And one time my Mom was held up in traffic because one was in the middle of the road.

Tradition!






Trying to get a decent picture with the Indian Gharial.

Love my boys.



"Mommy the monkey is swimming!"
Here it is! The swimming monkey.
Ginormous fish that are found in one of the rivers in China. I should know the name, oh well.
Super stoked to see Jia Jia the Giant Panda! The River Safari has two Giant Pandas. We are so lucky to get to have them here because not many zoos in the world have pandas.
Henry saw that the Panda had some dirt on it and said it needed a bath because it was dirty. He said it like this "it's dirty. It needs a bath". 

Chocolate filled panda steamed bun for the kids. They rejected it and Lyndon finished them. We are all still getting used to new tastes and flavors here.

The River Safari goes around this part of the lake. It is beautiful out there.
Cosette and I went on the Amazon River Quest. It is a water ride through the exhibits that feature animals from the Amazon. Henry and Raphael are not tall enough to go yet. We had a blast and went on it twice. The first time around we were the only ones in our boat. Every time we down a hill we held our hands up in the air. The second time we went on it we sat in the back and still put our hand up in the air. Cosette said over and over again "this is the best ride ever!".

We had fun.
She saw the scarlet Ibis and thought they were so cute. She asked to get her picture taken with them. 
Random assorted pictures from other River Safari adventures:

There are lots of different animal statues. Cosette likes this one the best.

Raining, but we stay dry. Love it!
And of course, Henry runs out in the rain. He loved it, and I love him.
The squirrel monkey forest. What an experience it is! It's one of the enclosures you can be inside with the monkeys running around. Really cool, but these animals are not afraid of humans. When the sign says don't bring food in it means do not bring food in. The first time the kids and I went to the River Safari we went through the squirrel monkey forest. I had Henry on my back in the carrier and Raphael, who was three months at the time, in the stroller and Cosette walking. I had my diaper bag in the bottom of the stroller, unzipped and of course had food init. I figured the food was concealed, it was in the bottom of the stroller and hard to get to so it was fine. The zoo worker did not say anything to me about taking it in so I thought it was all good. Well it was not. The moment we walked into the monkey forest we saw a squirrel monkey walking right up to us. My first thought was " cool!". My second was that monkey is getting really close. Then the thing jumped on to my stroller and down, grabbed the concealed food out of my diaper bag and scampered up a tree. Then immediately two other monkeys one at a time jumped onto my stroller and followed the monkey with the food. They sat on my stroller for a little bit before they jumped off. I was freaking out. I started screaming "help" because these are wild animals and my baby was in the stroller. Thank goodness nothing else happened. Once the last monkey was gone Cosette said, "let's get out of here!". We turned around and walked out. The next couple of times we left the stroller outside. Not taking anymore chances. This picture is our victory of making it out of the forest with no close encounters.
The Giant Amazon River Otter. It is the largest otHenry loves the otters. They are such playful creatures. It is so fun to watch them and sometimes interact with them too. There was guy who was playing a game with the otter while we were watching. He would put his hand on the glass and the otter would swim up to it and then he would move it again and the otter would follow. It was really entertaining to watch.


Cosette tried to do the game with the otter. He sort of obliged.
Henry loves seeing all the different alligators and crocodiles. The Ganges River Crocodile is probably our favorite at the River Safari,

This crocodile is huge. It is always up close to the glass so we can see it really well. I find it interesting that also in the Ganges River, there is a fresh water dolphin with the same snout as the Ganges Crocodile. I wonder why they have similar snouts? Where are the Krat Brothers when I need them? 
Meet the locals. I did not think anything of these monkeys. There are a lot of open air exhibits and I thought these were just part of one. Later I realized that they were not part of an exhibit, but wild monkeys that were just hanging out at the River Safari. Crazy! They were just hanging out right above us. I realized they were wild monkeys because we took the bus home and on the bus ride we saw a lot hanging out on the side of the road. I love that we have monkeys here! Love it from afar. So scarred from our squirrel monkey encounter. 

The manatee exhibit is one of our favorites. There are so many in the tank and so many angles to observe them. And it's inside so we get to hang out in the aircon.

We love this place a lot. So grateful Singapore has a lot of zoos. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day