Secret City Festival

A couple of weekends ago my hometown hosted the annual Secret City Festival. We went last year and had an amazing time and it was even better this year.

My hometown was part of the Manhattan Project during World War II and was a "secret city" until the war was over. The Festival pays homage to our town's history, which always makes me proud of where I am from and excited about science, haha. We are a science city.

Anyway, there are a lot of activities for kids, a craft fair, booths local businesses set up, performances, concerts the two nights of the festival, food, and a WWII reenactment. It's pretty fabulous and like I said has gotten better every year. Highlights were digging for fossils and other stuff in the dino dig, getting to sit in a real life fire engine and "driving" it, seeing The Charlie Daniels Band perform live, and of course getting to play in the sand. My kids love the sand box.

We finally got to see the reenactment. We have always wanted to go, but then things get in the way so we haven't been. But this year we made it! It was super loud and made me appreciate the sacrifice and service our armed forces provide for us. And it was also a reenactment of what happened at Normandy which was especially interesting to me since we visited those places while we were in Paris. (Post here)

Here is a little film that I put together of our festival experience.





His little boy dreams were fulfilled because he got to sit in the fire truck and drive it for a long time. The fireman told us to come by the fire station anytime and they would give us a tour. It's on our summer bucket list. 
This picture cracks me up seeing Henry trying to copy Cosette's pose. 









Coolest little robot that would take the ball and shot it out and play catch with you. 
Catch of the future?
Me and two of my sisters at The Charlie Daniel's band concert. We were too cheap to buy tickets so we sat on the hill outside with all the other free loaders and listened to the country legend play. Not as glamourous as seeing him at the Grand Ole Opry, but it was fun spending time with my Momma and sisters. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remote Learning Part 1

The Tooth Fairy and Tons of Pink Tulle

Traveling Half Way around the World