Home Again, Home Again Jiggity Jig

There was a lot of adjusting back to life in the States. I never thought I would have culture shock in my own country, but it's a real thing. My first thought when we got to baggage claim was "there are so many white people". When we are the only white people we see on a daily basis, it was kind of crazy seeing so many. Then driving down to my sister's place it was just weird. We've never had a car since being married. Since moving to Singapore we have used taxi's more, but that is because they are pretty cheap compared to NYC, so therefore in our budget. In Singapore we drive on the left side of the street and I was just plain confused when we were driving down.  Driving past all the box stores just kind of freaked me out. I know that sounds crazy, but I am just not used to it. We are just used to more local type places. The first time I went to Wal-Mart at home it was like, "Wow! This place is huge. I don't have to go to any other stores." Still had to make a few stops at a few different stores one fateful grocery shopping trip with my sibs, because we I kept forgetting things on the list. Good times. 

I adjusted pretty quickly, but it feels good to be back in my own space and that I have a purpose. I know I wasn't a burden to anyone, but there is always a small twinge of guilt about pawning my kids off on my family, but they love it. My kids are really lucky to have so many aunts and uncles who are willing to do things with them. One night my brother was going to see Finding Dory with a friend and Cosette asked him if she could go and he said "yes!" took her and they had a good time. I'm not going to lie, I really needed the help. The first couple weeks I was in Tennessee I slept so much my Mom said it was scary how worn out I was. The last couple weeks I finally got some energy and was feeling more like myself again. I really needed a break, and I kind of still do....if only vacations could last forever. 


We are back in Singapore now and once again getting over jet lag. I hate it, but the kids are doing great. Raphael is struggling a little bit, but the older two are just fine. They even went to school the next day after we got back. They were ready for it. Cosette kept asking when it was one o'clock because she wanted to go to school. Coming back has not been hard. It's just a different type of life than living in the States, but it's not a bad one. My Mom is visiting us for the next few weeks so that's a big help, especially on the flight. There is no way I would have done that flight by myself. 30 plus hours of traveling with three kids under five, no sir-ree. The flight was the only thing holding me back from going in the first place.





We flew through Newark, and seeing the Manhattan skyline made my heart hurt so bad. I saw it and immediately thought home. I could see the buildings along Central Park West, Lyndon's office building, and my heart longed to be there. I love New York City. I am so glad I was able to catch a glimpse of it. We had to take a shuttle to get to our connecting terminal and the shuttle bus was exactly like the MTA buses on the inside, which made me even more homesick for the city. I love, love, love that place. Our next layover was in Tokyo, which is also another place I can call home since I was born there. Japan, country of my birth. I wish we could have extended our layover a few days so we could have done some sightseeing. This was the first time my Mom has been back in Japan since we moved back to the States. I would love to go and see Japan with my parents one day. Mom, Dad we have to make it happen. It was cool to be there, even though it was only the airport, with my Mom.


We made it back to SG exhausted, but we made it! Lyndon met us at the airport and we were so excited to see our Daddy. I have missed him. He is the best Dad in the world. I mean that sincerely. I am enjoying sleeping in my own bed and getting back into our routine. We went to church today and it was so nice to see our friends and catch up a bit. I do miss my family and our friends back home, but we can always go back and visit. On bad days this thought keeps me going, it's only a plane ride away. But I'd rather them make the trip here so they can experience this wonderful place where we live.


Plus, I am too adventurous, so I am trying to explore as much of Singapore as I can while we are here. I don't want to miss out on any experience available to us here. We live in a beautiful wonderful world. All this going back and forth makes me appreciate how beautiful and wonderful it is.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day