Mom in Singapore


It's been a month since my Mom left SG. Surprisingly we I have handled it well. I thought I would be bawling at the airport when I dropped her off, but her flight left so early in the morning (we got there at 4:30) so I was too tired to cry. Then I cam home and life has continued on.

We had a wonderful visit together. We got to show her our beautiful island in the sun. She got to experience our life here. It really is the best when you live away from family and they come visit and then they know what you are talking about when you talk to them because they have experienced it. They understand more of what you are experiencing. It was great.

Her visit really helped me get back up on my feet and I am re-energized and ready to take on the world. I have been feeling and functioning so much better since her visit. I could relax with her being here having an extra set of hands, good hands. My Mom has the best hands when you need a helping hand.  It was just nice having someone around. I get lonely sometimes because Lyndon is gone a lot.

We watched Austenland and laughed our heads off. We did a lot of hiking, spent a lot of time in nature here. She was here to celebrate our birthday week with us. We introduced her to chicken rice, durian, Indian food, took her to see Little India briefly, ate authentic sushi one night. I loved spending time with her and the kids. It was low key and no pressure to rush around and do sight seeing. We did enough, everything that she wanted to do. It's really nice having your family come and see where and how you live. They have a greater understanding of what life is like for you. For example, "everyone" speaks English here, but it's not the English we speak in the States and she understands that now. And she totally understand my dislike of monkeys and why I was so jumpy on our hikes. And one more thing, she was able to see the community of friends we have here and can feel better meeting and talking with the people that is our support system here.

I snagged most of these photos off her phone. This is what her trip looked like.

Inside the Sultan Mosque.

Hiking at Bukit Batok Nature Park.


Henry never takes naps ever, so he must have been really really tired. 
Mom practicing her selfie skills. 
Botanic Garden.
Orchid paradise.
On the tree top walk where she almost got pick pocketed by a monkey, and I got smacked in the head by one. It was a crazy hike. I am now taking a whistle with me. Loud noises scare those things off.
The snails here are huge! 


The kids had her read books every day-night as Cosette would say. This picture reminds me of when we were little and my mom would have all of us pile on the couch and read to us while she was nursing one of the boys. There would be a twin on either side of her with Eston, nursing David, and me and Ellen sitting on the back of the couch. Lots and lots of reading like that. And the tradition continues, complete with Henry sitting on the chair arm. 

I miss her like crazy and hope that she can come again while we are here. Keeping my fingers crossed that they win the lottery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remote Learning Part 1

The Tooth Fairy and Tons of Pink Tulle

Chocolat, Chocolat: A Brief Guide on the Art of Chocolate Tasting