Date Night to the Sydney Opera House!


I am sure I have mentioned in the last couple of posts that going to a performance at the Sydney Opera House is on my life's bucket list. Since we were going to be in Sydney we made plans to go. We don't know when or if ever we will get back there, and it was the top thing on my list. We lucked out big time because my sister in law offered to baby sit for us, and when looking up what was going to be playing during our stay, I found out My Fair Lady was showing and it was directed by Julie Andrews! We got really good prices on tickets. I had a friend from Sydney tell me that the prices we got were amazing for the Opera House, so we booked them and my dream became a reality. 

This counted as our anniversary celebration. Our plans on our actual anniversary fell through, which worked out because we went to the Sydney Opera House instead, no bid deal. 

We had just enough time before the show to grab dinner at the Opera Kitchen, which I highly recommend to anyone who is in a time crunch before a show. It is right under/next to the Opera House and they serve you super fast. Plus, the view cannot be beat. A group was leaving when we got there and we snagged their table right on the balcony over looking Circular Quay with the Harbor Bridge in the background. It was perfect, except for the seagulls trying to steal food. Lyndon swatted at them the whole dinner, haha. This trip I wanted to try some uniquely Australian cuisine, but found out that there is not really much. Friends recommended I try fish and chips while there before we left, so I did. They were delish. The giant flecks of sea salt make all the difference on those chips. 

My Fair Lady was in the second largest theatre at the Opera House, the Joan Sutherland Theatre. The catch for getting the decent prices on tickets was that we did not sit next to each other. We were separated by a few rows, and it's hard to be picky when you are on a budget and want to go see an attraction like this. We were okay with it, but it's funny. 

The performance was spectacular. I have never seen a production with such talented actors. The actress who played Eliza was absolutely spectacular. She has the most beautiful voice. I was so impressed. Her performance really blew me away. Henry Higgins was perfect. I think Lyndon was a bit more critical about the production, but I was floating. I thought it was so spectacular. I really could have danced sung all night after the performance. It was just amazing. 

Julie Andrews was there incognito apparently. Lyndon slipped out for the toilet and heard that from one of the ushers. The gentleman I was seated next to has had that seat since 1973! He was a real nice fellow and it was fun talking to him. Lyndon was jealous that another man got very little of my attention for the evening, haha. It would have been nice to sit together, but just being there and having the experience it did not matter where we would sit. It was worth it!





After the show the Opera House had a spotlight on it highlighting the Rio 2016 Paralympic games. It was beautiful. 

This was by far the highlight of the trip and I am so grateful that we were able to have this experience. My life is forever enriched. I am seriously not the same person I was before I went to the Sydney Opera House. It changes you. Okay, I'm exaggerating, but it is something that I will cherish and smile about for the rest of my life.





Thank you Brooke for watching our kiddos! They had a lot of fun. International cousin sleep over. Everyone, but Henry was asleep when we got back. Surprise, surprise. They had a great time with their cousins. Cosette is looking forward to the next cousin sleep over. And I love George and Raphael in this pic. George was really sweet with Rapha the whole trip. It was adorable to watch them interact. Yay for cousin time!

Comments

  1. So glad this happened! You were so happy, even giddy when you came home that night. The kids honestly had such a fun evening together, it was a win-win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the best. Thank you so much for watching the kids for us. You and Stan need to go. And if he doesn't want to go just go by your self or with some girl friends. It is to good of a show to miss.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day