Phuket, Thailand

Lyndon and I had a little get away over the weekend to Phuket, Thailand. It was for a for retreat for all the Asia offices, so Lyndon did not get to relax as much as I did. We still squeezed in some pool time, and swinging by the beach time. It was a fun trip with just the two of us. I loved every minute of it.

Lyndon has been busy with work and not around a lot. I have missed him so much. It was absolute bliss to spend some one on one time with him. Several people asked us if we were on our honey moon, haha. We might have been a little to public with our affection. Insert wink face emoji.

Thailand is incredible. My jaw kept dropping from seeing all the islands and gorgeous blue ocean from the airplane. I was in love before I even landed. Have you ever been to a new place and felt like you were coming home, or just so familiar with it? That is how I felt when we arrived in Thailand. I immediately felt like I belonged there. I've had that feeling with NYC, and Paris, like I was coming home and my heart was so full with joy. And I was just at peace and relaxed. Such a nice way to start any trip.

View coming down into Phuket. INCREDIBLE!
Just stunning. I could not believe how insanely beautiful it is. 
Funny thing about getting there. Lyndon and I were supposed to leave together, but that didn't happen. I was on my way to the airport with his bag and passport when he called me and said he was not going to make the flight. We figured out how to get his stuff to him, and I hopped on the plane and started the trip off by myself. He made it in time for dinner that night, seven hours later than planned, but hey, we are flexible. Doesn't matter as long as we end up together.

I got to spend the afternoon checking out the resort. I walked down to the beach. It's rainy season here in South East Asia which means the beaches are not the best to go swimming at sometimes. I did not even get in the water, but just from standing on shore I could tell that the current was really strong. It was still beautiful. My body has been longing to go to the beach, and I completely relaxed when I got down to the shore. 



I could have spent a lot more time lounging in our room. Wish the trip had been longer.


 The resort was fabulous. Our room had an American toilet init, which did make my top favorite things about the trip list, haha. We enjoyed authentic Thai cuisine, and I am now obsessed. So fresh, flavorful, and delicious! I skipped out on the events that Lyndon had to attend. I instead took a cooking class where I learned how to make , and then got a much needed (for the health of my feet) pedicure. Oh man, I needed one so so so bad. I felt bad for the lady taking care of my ugly feet, but she did a wonderful job and now I am not embarrassed when I wear sandals, which is everyday here. And we got to sing Karaoke! After our trip to Bintan we are obsessed. It was really fun. So fun, we stayed past midnight singing with friends. 




Our last day there we went to a Gibbon rehabilitation center about half an hour from our resort. It was awesome! I love Gibbons and have since they came to the Zoo Knoxville, however many years ago. Gibbons are native to Thailand, and are endangered, which breaks my heart. I learned that they are not monkeys, but apes which I did not know. The White Handed Gibbon is the one that is native to Phuket. The center takes any breed of Gibbon and ones that are not native to Phuket spend their life at the center and the White Handed Gibbons they try to rehabilitate and release them into the wild. The center is located in a national park that has park rangers patrolling for poachers, and making sure the wild life is kept safe. We learned a lot. Gibbons are very similar to us. They have emotions and depending on how they react to the therapy it is decided if they can be released or not. Although, one White Handed Gibbon name Bo, was released six times but kept coming back so the center decided to keep him there because he would not leave. All the Gibbons there are brought to the center from people who have been keeping them as pets, some of the stories are heart breaking. Never have a wild animal for a pet. We left with a greater respect for these animals.


We then hiked to a water fall not much further from the center. It was a fun hike. I was not dressed for a hike at all. We had initially planned on going to a Tao Temple, but when we looked at the map in the taxi and saw there was a Gibbon sanctuary we changed plans. So I was in a dress and sandals. Not my first time hiking like that, but it worked. It did not hinder my hiking in anyway. The waterfall was beautiful. It was the highlight of the trip for me. And then it was time to go back to Singapore. 

Probably why people kept asking us if we were on our honey moon. 

Super quick trip, but so much fun. Video of the trip below.



Thailand we will see you again. You are incredible!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day