The Failed Hike

 It has really hit me this week that we only have a little over a year left here in Singapore. And that is freaking me out! There is so much to do and see here!   I have been wanting to take them on a hike at MacRitchie Park, and the fear of missing out on things took over me and I took the kids out on a hike there this week. It did not go well, haha. I should have known because it was not going to go well because Cosette said that she did not like hiking and did not want to go even before we left. Laziness or her love for all things urban and sparkly that make her disdain hikes. I think laziness because she says she does not like hiking up hills. 

We got to the park and walked across a bridge at the very beginning of the trail heads and made a loop back to the bus stop. That was it. No hiking took place, but we got out of the house. I guess that means we can count it as a win? I've learned to keep my expectations low when I take them out to do things and to pick my battles with them. It's not fun for anyone when someone or everyone is crying.  

We saw no monkeys which was good/bad because it's cool to see them, but not cool to be too close to them. Monkeys have fangs and no sense of personal boundaries. We took only water, and a plastic whistle Cosette won at her school fair to scare them off if they got too close. 

My bump on a log. When I was trying to get them to start hiking, they both sat down on the stump and refused to hike. Bumps on a log.
He can put his shoes on all by himself now! It is not a big thing, but just something that shows he is becoming more independent and growing up. He is so cute and asks me if the shoe is on the right side. 
I'm silly, and he is adorable. 
I'm in love with Singapore tress. 

Hanging out on the "Great Wall of Singapore". That is not what it's called, but we can pretend.
my attempt at a panorama of the reservoir. I really appreciate having a lot of green spaces in our urban environment. 

Big boy is walking now!



Cosette collected all the different flowers that we saw on the "hike". She decided she wants to start a flower collection.
And I would too since all we have to do is go outside and we find flowers that look like this.

We had to take the bus back home, and the bus we needed did not stop close by, so we had to walk a distance to the bus stop. To make a long story short, we did not get to the bus we needed, but we did hop on  a bus that was taking us in the right direction. We had to change buses and before we hopped on the next bus we decided to grab some lunch. To the kid's delight we ended up at a Korean dessert cafe because I had no cash, and it was the only place that took cards. We were short on time, and I was not going to trek around looking for an ATM, so dessert for lunch it was. We did share a berry smoothie, so there was something with substance in there. It was fun. 
We got the berry smoothie, an Oreo bingsu, and a strawberry waffle. They were really excited about the waffle. And bingsu is my favorite dessert now. It is shave ice with a sweet topping. Ours was covered in Oreo crumbs with a scoop of ice cream and a Oreo on top. It is layered like this: cream at the bottom, shaved ice, sweet topping, ice cream scoop, topped with Oreo. Then you have a little cup filled with cream or condensed milk which you pour over the dessert which causes the shaved ice to melt coming together making it this delicious ice cream mixture. I am so glad I did not have cash.

The outing was not what I wanted it to be, but we made it home with out anyone crying, and we were only 10 minutes late to school which is incredible since we got home 10 minutes before school started, got ready, ran to school with three kids. I am singing "we are the champions", because we made it!

Mothering is really hard, but I get to do fun things with my kids like this.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remote Learning Part 1

The Tooth Fairy and Tons of Pink Tulle

Traveling Half Way around the World