School Time: Children's Day


Children's Day is celebrated on the first Friday of October every year. The primary children (we are on the British System here in SG) do not have school. It is a day for them to spend time with their families, and be a kid. Essentially it is a day that celebrates childhood and brings awareness about children's rights to health care, education, etc. Many countries all over the world celebrate it, and it was a great cultural experience to have in Singapore. That weekend our community held a Children's Day festival with a little fair. I did not get pics from that, but Cosette had a lot of fun with her BFF Crescent. 

The kid's school celebrated Children's Day at the beginning of October. I volunteered to come in and sing some songs with the kids. There was a note in their communications book (basically school planner. The teachers will stick permission slips, and notes in there for the parents) that said parents were welcome to come to class that day, so I did. I am really grateful for primary songs from church because I did not plan any specific songs. I just thought, I'll sing some primary songs and that should work out. And it did! Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes was a big hit in both classes. 

I went to Henry's class first. His class is so cute. Since it was a school holiday they got to wear "party clothes" aka regular clothes. Henry did not participate with us. He was in the back making mischief, which is sad because he missed out on some pretty awesome stuff. My favorite part was at the end, all his cute classmates gave me a big group hug. It was the sweetest. 

I have grown to love all Cosette and Henry's classmates this year. We have spent a lot of time with them, and they are all the sweetest kids. I say this everytime I talk about the kid's school, but I love their school!



Group picture with these cuties. Henry was pulling my hair out. It was painful. 



Next, Henry came with me to Cosette's class. I have a lot to learn about handling a classroom full of kids. Their teachers are amazing to get the kids to calm down. I got them really rowdy with Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes. We went super, de-duper fast. Then they requested London Bridge, and I obliged with a complicated hand motions. They loved it though. 


Cosette was thrilled to have me in class with her. She came up to the front and helped me lead everyone. We did London Bridge, Head-Shoulders-Knees- and Toes, Popcorn popping, Green speckled Frogs (thanks Dad for teaching me that one when I was a kid), and Do as I am Doing. We got a lot of wiggles out. 




The crazy london Bridge.






Popcorn popping. 


Cosette is the best and most enthusiastic helper I could ask for. I cannot remember what she was doing in this pic, but she did not need me up there. She could have done this thing on her own.
The School put out a little news letter all about our Singing and Movement Session. It says:

"To celebrate Children's Day, we were delighted to have Aunty Christine*, one of the K1 Gymnast's parents to come forth to the class to spend time with the children on 6 October 2016.

Aunty Christine, together with Cosette, engaged the class with a number of fun and catchy songs such as Heads and Shoulders, Knees and Toes, If you're Happy and you know it, Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree, and Five Green and Speckled Frogs. Aunty Christine was able to capture the children's attention with her sweet singing voice and everyone participated actively. 

Aunty Christine also provided opportunity for children to make choices on the songs to sing. The children requested for songs like London bridge is falling down and Aunty Christine was quick to attend to the needs and request of the children. She quickly got the children to find a partner each to make a long bridge for them to go under and through it. This has given opportunity for children to practice teamwork, patience and turn taking. Thank you Aunty Christine for your time and patience with the children. They truly enjoyed your company and you have definitely brought lots of laughter and fun to the children this Children's Day!"

The proof that I did not write that myself. 

Today was the last day of school and I am really going to miss their teachers, and classmates. Good thing is that they will both have the same teachers and kids in their class next year. I am so happy about that. 

*Aunty and Uncle are used here in SG for any adults. We call our cab drivers Uncle and the ladies at the grocery store Aunty as well as people we are acquainted with. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remote Learning Part 1

The Tooth Fairy and Tons of Pink Tulle

Traveling Half Way around the World