Easy As Pie

 We recently got a library card! There are so many things that I took advantage for in the States, like public libraries. Here in SG we have to pay for a library membership, and it just wasn't on my list of things to get around to, which I am face palming myself for because I love libraries. Every where we have lived, minus Manila, I have used the library. Lyndon would sneak me into the University Library in Cambridge when we were first married. NYC library was a weekly thing for me and the kids. Even in Paris we got a membership to the American Library in Paris. And that is a long way of saying how excited I am that we got a library membership.

We checked out a bunch of books last week. One of our favorites is called Easy as Pie. It's a cute little story about a boy who bakes the perfect peach pie for his parents anniversary. They are running late to their dinner reservation, because they are waiting for the pie to cool down the little boy tops the pie with ice cream. We totally agree that is the best way to eat pie.

That book really inspired Cosette. She asked me to teach her how to make a pie. I pulled out my pie cookbook, and we went through the recipes, and Cosette decided that she wanted to make a triple berry pie. It turned out to be a double berry pie, because we had to work with what is available here. Fresh berries were out of the question and the only kind of frozen berries there were was blueberries, and strawberries. The pie turned out amazing and double berry pie is going to be the next big thing.

Someone thought the book would be just as tasty as pie.

The older two kids help me a lot in the kitchen, mostly when I am baking. They like to be "makers" with me. That is what they call baking. Most of the time I measure out everything and they take turns pouring it in the bowl, but this time I let Cosette do most of the measuring, and she is getting the hang of it. I explained to her a lot of the science behind the steps we were doing, like why the butter needs to be chilled, and why the dough needs to chill for half an hour. I really enjoyed that. I am sure that it went over her head, but I hope that she remembers something. There are going to be plenty more making sessions in our future. That girl is a sponge, and so eager to learn about everything. It allows us to have some interesting/fun activities like this.

My little maker.

Proud baker with her pie, and proud papa. More hungry than proud papa. He had it for breakfast the next day. That is his tradition when we make pie.
Double Berry Pie!


Henry's smile is pretty bad here, but I promise he enjoyed the ice cream.

And this kid wanted it all.

The pie was amazing. I attribute it to having a great recipe, an excellent sous chef, and lots of ice cream.

Thank you National Library for resources that help spark our imagination and get our creative juices going. This week it has been all about Henry Hyena. We love the library!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day