Girls Day to the Nutcracker


Cosette and I had a girls day last weekend to see The Nutcracker! I was so excited to take her. I love this ballet. And I have been waiting for this moment or a moment like this where I can take my girl and introduce her to something I love so much. She is at an age where she is able to sit through movies, ballets, etc enjoy them ( I made her sit through a choir concert earlier that week that she only somewhat enjoyed). She enjoyed The Nutcracker. She asked lots of questions during the show, mainly when were we going to get ice cream. She said that the Spanish Dancers and the Sugar Plum Fairy were her favorites. It was nice to hear that she was paying attention, Most of the time when I ask her what her favorite of whatever we were doing is and she will always say "the end". It was refreshing to hear something other than "the end". She was engaged the whole time. I had told her the basic story line, so she would understand what was going on. She loved the costumes, which is hard not to love. The Singapore Dance Theatre did a good job and has started/continued a tradition that we do not always get to every year, but one that we are now going to forever keep. I love The Nutcracker

Lyndon to me to see it performed by Ballet West for our second date. When he asked me to go see it I was so excited for two reasons: I was going with Lyndon and I love The Nutcracker. And now I got to take our little girl to see it. 

The theatre was full of families, and lots of moms with their daughters. And I ran into several people that we know from Church, Lyndon's work, and school. Made me happy because that means we are really settled here. It's nice to recognize people/run into people that you know. Being in a foreign country that is not something that happens a lot, so it felt good to see several friends.



She is my rough and tumble girly girl. 







So much illegal picture taking, but I could not resist. 


My favorite part of the show is the dance between the Snow Queen and King. The music just takes my breathe away. It's so beautiful. And this is part is not something that I would naturally like, so it was surprising to me after I had seen it a few times and absolutely loved this part the most. The music! Ah! Tschakovsky is an incredible composer. I love his music. 
The Singapore Dance Theatre put their own spin on the show. It was different from the other productions of The Nutcracker I have seen. I have to say I prefer the traditional one, but it was cool to see them make it their own. The shops in the very beginning had the shop names written in Chinese. Not going to see that in any other Nutcracker production.  
I should have asked someone to take a photo of the two of us, but I will not make that mistake again. I loved taking her to see the show. I hope that she will grow up with fond memories of going together. I try so hard to be a good mom to my kids. I just want them to have all sorts of different experiences with culture. This ballet is something really important to me, so basically I hope it will be something that she can appreciate.



Cross walk at the theatre.


Picture of my girl outside the Esplanade Theatre where we saw the show.
Looking forward to our next girls day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day