A Visit to the President's House

The President of Singapore's mansions, Istana, was open to the public over the weekend for Chinese New Year. It is hardly ever open to the public. There are only five days total this year the public is allowed to come and visit the house and grounds. Kind of amazing that it is even open to the public. We did have to go through security, but it was nothing like the Heathrow airport. 

The path leading up to the mansion was really long. Lyndon and the kids wanted to stop and take a break, but I herded them along. All the activities were through the second set of gates, and I knew that if we stopped we would never make it. 

And we made it just in time to see the lion dance. It is my and the kid's favorite Chinese New Year tradition. We love it! We get excited every time we hear the drums going. Can't wait to see some more before the festivities are over.

President Tan was there at the lion dance. I was really surprised that he would actually be there on the day his residence was open to the public, but he was. We were really close to him. He was in the front welcoming the lions or doing something ceremonial with them. It was really cool. We saw him and his wife one more time while we were on the grounds. It was really refreshing to see the leader of a country among the people. You always see pictures of leaders out and about, kissing babies, looking smart, but this was my first time witnessing it in person. 

Henry only got lost once, and when we asked the security if they could help us locate him, an alert had already gone out to the all the security guards about a missing child, which was Henry. 




The Japanese garden. Ever since I got back from Japan, Henry has been asking to go to Japan, which is adorable. Fingers crossed we can go with everyone. 

Japanese cannon from WWII. Henry's stance cracks me up. 

Cheesers!

Fun dad.

My favorite quote of the day, Cosette said "Mommy, I just love you too much". I told her "baby girl, you cannot love me or your family too much". And that is truth. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day