Going Back to our Japanese Roots


Our second day in Japan our parents friends, the Yamanas, took us to visit Mito and Tokai, the town where my parents and they lived back in the late '80s. A lot has changed even since the last time I have been back in 2012. The hospital where Ellen and I were born has been completely demolished and rebuilt. The train station is much larger than it was when my parents where there. They said that it was just a platform, and now there is a small station there. A few things have changed, but the apartment building where we lived is almost still the same. The only difference is that the back yard is now paved over. It had grass and a fence around it when we lived there. My earliest memories are from that apartment. I remember my mother putting me to bed one night and the table with our red phone on it. Two small things, but those two memories are the earliest things I can remember and I cherish them, even though they are just two very small things.

Another family friend, Hachiya-san, invited us over to have lunch at his house with his wife. He has a garden with a yuzu tree, and lucky us yuzu was in season. We got to pick fresh yuzu off the tree, which is 300 years old! The Japanese are the most hospitable people I have met. They are so nice and make you feel so welcome. I love the traditions that come with hosting and being a guest there. It makes for some of the nicest people we have ever met. The Hahiya-sans served us a gourmet sushi lunch, with some fresh yuzu from the garden. It was a really nice visit with them.

Left to right: Christine, Ellen-chan, Mrs. Hachiya-san, Noriko-san, Hachiya-san. Yamana-san was taking the picture.





The Yamanas then took us to see the hospital where we were born and the apartment where we lived. Ellen did tear up a little bit seeing the apartment. It was such a surreal experience for her. She could not believe she was there.

Freezing outside the new hospital. It's not the same one where we were born, but it's in the same spot and the same name. 





Home sweet home. 





That night we stayed in a hotel overlooking the sea. I used the onsen (public bath house) that night. Interesting experience. I was freezing the whole day, the US is the only place that heats houses to keep you warm. The idea of sitting in a hot tub was just too good, I took the plunge and did the public bath house. I am glad I did it. Gotta try almost everything once.

Our room.

Dinner. I did not know what everything was, but just ate it. Japanese food is the best food.


Ellen did not do the onsen, but this is the robe that is provided for everyone to wear to the onsen. 
I am grateful for both of my parents taking advantage of the opportunity they had to live there, but especially my Mother because she had a lot more challenges. Going back gives me a greater respect for my Mother, because she was only 22 when they moved to Japan and pregnant with me. My Dad served his mission there, so he knew the language and customs. My Mother did not know any of it. Where they lived in Tokai was a small town, so good luck finding your Western products. This was about 30 years ago, so Japan is even more different now than it was then. Talk about being truly out of your comfort zone. She did learn Japanese, and made a lot of friends in the area. She had friends who taught her how to cook, and the art of Japanese decorating. Both things have blessed our family's upbringing. Very exciting to see where it all happened.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day