Thaipusam Festival


I had the incredible opportunity to attend the Thaipusam Festival in Singapore. It is a Hindu festival, celebrated by the Tamil community here and around the world. Tamils are from Sri Lanka, according to my quick research. Tamil is one of the four main languages spoken here in Singapore. 

The Thaipusam Festival is celebrated during the Tamil month of Thai (our January/February). The name comes from the word Thai, month, and the name of a star, Pusam, which is at its highest point during the festival. It is held on the full moon day of Thai. On this day devotees give thanksgiving demonstrating their aestheticism and control over their senses. 

In Singapore the devotees performing their vows walk 4km from the Sri Srinavasas Perumal Temple to the Sri Thendayuthapnai Temple. From my observations, devotees can start their walk any time during the two day celebration in Singapore. 

It is one of the most humbling experiences I have ever witnessed. I met up with a group of women from my congregation at the Sri Srinavasas Perumal Temple, where we watched the devotees prepare and start their 4km journey. 

The preparation was intense. The whole festival from my Western perspective was intense. They take kadavis, basically shrines, to the Lord Murugan and other Hindu Gods. Pictures of the Lord and deities are on them and they are decorated with just peacock feathers on the simplest ones, and the more elaborate ones are a lot more ornate. Small pots of milk that the devotees holds on top of their head is another common kadavis that I saw at the festival. 

The intense part of the festival is how the kadavis are carried. The simplest ones are just wooden arches that people carried across their shoulders. The larger more elaborate ones were attached to devotees body with hooks, long sharp rod (looked a lot like spears), and chains. Others have metal rods (vel skewers) pierced through their tongues and cheeks so they cannot speak during their journey,so they can focus on enduring to the end. The purpose of all of this is a cleansing ritual. I talked to several people who had family and friends that were participating and they said it was a cleansing of their sins and demonstrating their devotion to their God. It is a real honor to participate in this festival. 

From a Western standpoint this festival might seem a little bit crazy, and why is it even allowed?  Watching all these devotees prepare and march the 4km I had nothing but great respect for them. It was such an amazing event to witness. There was music playing. The devotees were smiling. Entire families were gathered to support their family member or friend participating. The atmosphere was really upbeat. I know I would have been freaking out, so my hat is off to all the devotees who participated. I was blown away by their devotion to their religion. It is really refreshing to see people practice their religion. 

That is one of my favorite things about Singapore is that there are so many religions. I can openly talk about my beliefs with people because they are believers too. We may not be of the same tradition, but we are religious people. And we can respect one another. That's been my experience here, and its been really refreshing to be able to talk about religion openly. 

My favorite part of the festival was talking to the people there. I talked to one woman whose friend was participating. She answered my questions and was very nice. Another woman was their with her family. She and her brother had their children there, and they were so cute. She grew up in Singapore and now lives in Australia, so her English was good. She told me all about the festival. We talked about our kids. I showed her a picture of my babies. Then she told me to go in the back where they were serving food and that I should try some. It was free. I wish I had now. I love interacting with the people there. I felt so grateful that they are open to having people come in and take pictures and get to witness this festival first hand. I will forever remember this day.


The whole family comes out to participate. 


An example of one the simple kadavis, the wooden arch with the picture of  Lord Murugan. 

The more elaborate kadavis.


This was the sidewalk. 










This is the kadavis that was attached to the guy pictured above. 

Carrying milk pots for 4km.

We got to see him prepare from the begining. 



A sweet family I talked to for a little bit. 

My favorite picture from the bunch. I love seeing them pray.

Now she is ready.




Another sweet little family. Loved seeing all the families gathered there. 



The mass of people heading to the Sri Thendayuthapani Temple. There was a woman carrying the milk pot kadavis, whose family was literally having to hold her up so that she could finish her journey. It was an incredibly moving to watch. They were having to part the crowd so that she could get through. Literally carrying someone else's burden (not that this was a burden, but in the figurative sense).  


Awesome group of ladies that went. 
Like I have said, I was so humbled and amazed at the devotion I saw that day. I am forever changed from going to this festival.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day