School Time: Teaching about Easter

 This Easter was the best one ever. It is all because I was asked by the kid's teachers to come to class and teach about the history about Easter. I had told them earlier that I would be willing to do something for Easter, but I was not expecting to do anything religious, but they wanted the religious stuff! I was so excited! Never again will I ever be allowed to talk about Jesus in my kid's school classes. Singapore is really unique because there are so many different religions practiced here. I know some of the other moms at school had come in and talked about Hindu holidays and some Chinese holidays, and I did not have a problem with that. I was really happy that my kids were getting to learn about why and how other religions practice and celebrate holidays. 

I was able to go a little bit more in depth about the Easter story with Cosette's class, as in depth as you can go for five and six year olds. I read parts of the Easter story out of the illustrated New Testament our Church publishes. I loved having pictures to show the kids of Jesus and to help them get a better idea of Easter. They had a lot of great questions. They were sincerely interested in what I was telling them and this is probably one of the highlights of my life, not high upon the list, but it was pretty great. I played them the song that the Cosette and the other primary children were going to sing on Easter Sunday. Cosette's class mates loved it! They asked me to play it again and to send it to their moms on our moms group text. I thought that was really sweet. 


 We also did have some fun. We sang "Little Seeds" and pretended to be seeds that grow. Then we painted cut out paper Easter eggs using q-tips as paint brushes. Kids are so creative. They were all given the same materials, but what they produced was all different and incredible. I wish I could do art like I did in elementary school every day, so much fun! Then we assembled rice crispy treat birds nests. Cosette helped me assemble all the materials the night before, and was excited that I was coming to her class. 





The best was hearing all the positive feed back from the other moms. I had several text me saying thank you for sending out the song because their kids had been asking to hear it. Another mom was telling me that her kid came home telling her all this stuff about Easter and this is why Christians celebrate it. That made me really happy that they were listening and got something out of it. 


 Henry's class was really fun. They are all three turning four, so a lot younger. I had to tone the Easter story way down and just talk about the basics with them. My favorite part was Henry singing the first verse of Gethsemane, which is what he was going to sing on Sunday at church. I almost started crying hearing him sing the lyrics "Jesus loves me". It was so sweet seeing him in front of his class with no fear singing the song. We colored Easter pictures I found online, had a little Easter egg hunt, and then did the birds nest rice crispies again because I had left over from Cosette's class. We let nothing go to waste here, well we try not to. 




And then, Cosette's teacher came to hear her sing on Easter Sunday! I did not expect to see her there, and was over the moon happy that she did. I almost started crying because I was so grateful she was there. 

Best Easter Ever! The End. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day