Taking 2018 On

It's a new year. I have not been super psyched about it. Winter and the cold is really hard for me. This is the time of year when I want to fly South and not come back till April. NYC is great, but all of us New Yorkers are bundled up, grinning and bearing winter. I am really trying hard to stay positive and find things for us to do indoors. We are doing it. More puzzles, museum visits, indoor play dates, tons of games, and playgroup at the church gym scootering to our hearts content are some of the things we are doing. It's working out fine. I have felt like a slug since coming back from Tennessee.

I keep wanting it to be this time last year when I was just coming home from my sister trip to Japan, and solo adventure in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The below freezing winds make me dreadfully miss our island in the sun. We are here now, and we/I must look and march onward to the future.

Today I read my SG book that the women in our church congregation sign when someone moves. It has taken me six, almost seven months to read it. I could not handling reading it earlier. Even half a year later I am reading the messages written by some of the loveliest people I know, and wanting to cry. I am glad I have waited this long to read it. Their words have given me the strength I need to take on 2018.

A lot of the messages they wrote me had similar themes about my personality that I often dismiss, or do not give my self credit for. After reading it, I feel stronger. I that I can get over this brick wall I feel is sometimes in my path.

I do not have resolutions for 2018, but a list of 18 things I am going to do (thanks to Happier podcast for the idea). My plans for this year are not huge. One of the things I am going to do is candy orange peels, because I have been wanting to do it for a long time. 2018 is the year. I have gotten out of the habit of wearing earrings or other jewelry, mostly earring. I plan on wearing one piece of jewelry other than my wedding ring everyday to get back in that habit. It is something that I liked/like to do. This year, baby. These things sound insignificant, but I am focusing on things that are going to bring me more happiness in my life. That includes wearing jewelry.

2017 was a busy year.After we left SG I was in a different country or State for the firs five weeks. From June to almost October there was so much we had to get in order, moving out of our apartment, finding an apartment, schools, etc. It was a lot of fun stuff. We are through that, and it is amazing how much time and energy it takes getting through that stuff takes. I am glad we are through it.

Now a new year is here. I can start fresh. I have my little book full of  encouraging words from people who I know care about me, to read and help find my strength (and sometimes courage) to continue on. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day