A Night with Jojo Moyes

"Everyone should live at least one year in New York." My favorite line from Jojo Moyes's speech introducing her new novel, Still Me.

Author Jojo Moyes kicked off her book tour for Still Me in NYC, appropriate since it is where the book takes place. Great for me, because it was only a couple blocks from our apartment. Lyndon got home five minutes before the discussion and signing took place, and I was still able to make it before the event started. My running is paying off!

Reading Ms. Moyes' previous book, Me Before You, left me heartbroken (hopeless romantic here). You'll understand if you've read it or seen the film (which I still have not seen, for fear of bawling for the next week). The story is incredible, characters lovable, and takes place in a quaint English town that you would probably only pass through if visiting the UK. Lyndon and I drove through a lot of small towns like that, some that even included castles perched on hilltops. Being the hopeless romantic that I am (and pregnant while reading it) Me Before You did not spark any desire to continue reading the series, even though Louisa Clark is a riot.

After this long introduction, you might wonder why I made a made dash for the local Barnes and Noble to hear Ms. Moyes speak? First I have read one of her books, and wanted to hear/see her in person. Second, even though Me Before You was not my favorite read, I had the opportunity to hear from an incredible author who has touched many lives across the globe. Third, going to events with authors (and other similar professionals) is the closest I will get to being apart of the French salons. It is an opportunity to hob knob with movers and shakers, or people whose influence is far greater than mine. I get to listen and learn from them, most of the time for free.  They have created or accomplished something that has had an impact on this world, that has become a part of our culture, and I want to be involved in that. 

And I am so glad I went to listen to Jojo. She was funny and down to earth. She read an excerpt from Still Me about going through customs at an airport in the US, which took me back to all our trips abroad the past couple of years. She thinks very highly of NYC, and she thought it immediately when she was planning for Louisa Clark to have another adventure in a place that was multicultural and exciting, but not be too far out of her comfort zone. For example, Moyes said that Calcutta, and other places in India would be too exotic for Louisa. But in New York you get all of that culture and excitement, but with a more familiar taste. I felt very proud and honored to live in our city while she was speaking (and pretty much always).

Winter blues are here, but are not hitting too hard. Her speech gave me a push to go out and explore my city more. I take all the opportunities here for granted, even though I try really hard not too. I am excited to read Still Me and explore my city with Louisa Clark.



They weren't allowing pictures with Jojo, but the girl in front of me had come all the way from Brazil, so they made an exception. Apparently coming from Singapore six months ago did not quite cut it. I tried. Best picture I could get. I really need to get a new phone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remote Learning Part 1

The Tooth Fairy and Tons of Pink Tulle

Traveling Half Way around the World