The Year of the Dog

Gong xi fa cai from NYC! Chinese New Year is my second favorite holiday. The kids had the holiday off from school, which I was surprised, but then really excited by. That meant we could get our CNY on. 

Chinatown was kicking the new year off with a fire works show with 600 fire works! Rapha, Cosette and I went to attend this exciting activity. Henry opted to go to work with Dad (boring). But he probably had more fun there than he would have with us 

Conveniently there was a playground right by the festival area where we hung out with friends while we waited for the fire works. The playground saved the outing! It took a while before the fireworks went off, and I do not know if we would have made it without the playground.

Even though the wait was longer than anticipated, it was exciting. There was a dragon circling the square, poppers, silly string, and poppers shooting out confetti. There was a few presentations including a lion dance, which I could barely see, but I could hear the drums.

We all count down from ten and declared “gong xi fat choy” (Cantonese way) to ring off the year of the dog. The fire works were a mixture of giant sparklers with a few bottle rockets shooting up in the sky. That was it. 

We bought some poppers and silly string. I was trying to figure out how to do the confetti one and ended up shooting my self in the leg with it, haha. Cosette was all about the silly string. Rapha got the little poppers you throw on the ground. It was pretty cute watching him play. 

I did get a little emotional thinking about Singapore, and how much I love this time of year there. I am grateful that we have large Chinese/Asian community in the City and I can still participate in some of my favorite traditions. 



He is my outing buddy. Everyday all day together. 


It's starting! Happy Year of the Dog!!









Ta da!



I loved the decorated stores. Made me fell like I was really in SG. 


Gong xi fa cai! Wishing you a happy and prosperous new year! xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remote Learning Part 1

The Tooth Fairy and Tons of Pink Tulle

Traveling Half Way around the World