Four Day Weekend

This past weekend was a four day weekend. Now that the big kids are in school, weekends and holidays are a lot more exciting. We have them home the whole day and have time to go on longer outings and explore our city. We did not waste this weekend. We checked out Prospect Park in Brooklyn, attempt to go to every playground in Central Park, and visit the Bronx Zoo. Still recharging from all that over here.  

Prospect Park has been on my list first because there is a zoo there. Second, I listened to a podcast about it a few months ago (Part 1 and 2 here). Learning about the history of the park sent it straight up to the top of my NYC list. It is a HUGE park, especially since we have no idea where anything is in it. The plan was to visit the Zucker Natural Exploration Area. It's a natural play area where they have used trees to create a play space for kids. It was like playing in my parents back yard. We spent a lot longer than I anticipated there. Next stop was the Prospect Park Zoo. Naturally we could not "travel all the way to Brooklyn" without going.  I love the NYC zoos, because they are not too big (minus the Bronx), but have very interesting wild life. It keeps the kids interested/entertained and does not wear me out. We only did a small portion of the zoo, and still saw dingoes, porcupines, red panda, and the sea lion show. It is always a big hit. Lastly we made the worth while trek to Ample Hills Creamery. Our school friends came with us, and they are big into ice cream (the best kind of friends). I added an ice cream place to our agenda, and Ample Hills was the closets one. So worth the trek! There was a flavor that screamed Lyndon's name, he went there the next day and said it was the best ice cream he has had in a long time. It was ah-maz-ing! Lucky there a couple shops in Manhattan we can get to. Definetley wanting to go back to Prospect Park. There was a historic house right by the zoo that I want to check out. I forget that there is a lot of history in our city, that often goes unnoticed. 

The kids keep making comments about "traveling" to Brooklyn. It was super cute.

The Subway Monkey in action in NYC. 





Still reminding him that sand stays on the ground. 

Taking me exploring through the woods, and that little tongue. Love my Henry. 



The zoo!



Lyndon's ice cream dream come to life. 
Not sharing. 


Inspired by a friend who does this, I have been toying with the idea of going to all the playgrounds in Central Park in one day. A friend had the same idea and we attempted to do it. She and her kids finished. We made it half way before it was time to call it a day. There are 21 playgrounds, and we went to ten or eleven of them. It was a long day, haha. There were four moms, and 13 kids. It was awesome. Doubly awesome because we got to hear the soundcheck from the Global Citizen's Festival that was happening the next day. We got to have lunch to The Lumineers, and I fulfilled a life goal of hearing Green Day live! My kids looked at me kind of funny when I was singing the songs as we were walking through the park. We are going to finish going to the rest of the playgrounds in one day soon. I am happy to say that I have been to all the playgrounds in CP at least once.




Buddies since they were babies. 



Saturday was the Bronx Zoo. We had promised Henry we would go the previous weekend, then we all took naps, so it had to happen. They are setting up for Boo at the Zoo, and I am so excited for Halloween! October is the best month of the year! 

Bug buddies.

My favorite exhibit at the zoo. Really, we went for me. I have been missing this place. Funny, it was on my NYC bucket list before we left for Singapore, and it is on my list of top places to visited when we get back. 

Waiting for the monorail. 





Rapha's expression is my favorite. I have turned them into Halloween lovers. Not sorry about it at all. 

Weekends, and breaks are now my favorite. I miss my kids a lot more than I thought I would, while they are at school. I cherish this time to throw schedules out the window, and go have fun with my lovelies. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day