Thanksgiving 2018

We had a less than normal Thanksgiving this year. I am feeling lots of emotions about it. We did not have a traditional Thanksgiving meal, in fact I didn't even cook. We had no family coming that was staying for the meal, and I have been exhausted and no desire to make a huge feast. That is strange for me, because I really like my Thanksgiving food. I have cultivated several recipes that I only make at Thanksgiving, and I love them. We had Indian food instead, which was great! Lyndon and I love Indian food more than traditional Thanksgiving food, and most other food. The kids I do not think were to thrilled about it. Cosette said, "When we think of Thanksgiving we think of turkey, not Indian food". A lovely note she took from "Arthur's Thanksgiving" they have been reading. The boys made some sort of pie that we kind of had the ingredients for. I was taking a nap and woke up to a delicious chocolate pie something, haha.

Now after the fact I feel kind of weird not having a traditional Thanksgiving. I am thinking about what we have lost for not keeping with this tradition, and what memories are children are losing. Or are they really losing any memories? This will be the Thanksgiving we had Indian turkey. We are not planning on doing this every year. This is going to be a good reminder of the importance of family traditions and the way we want to observe a holiday. 

We did keep with the tradition of attending the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. More than anything, I cannot imagine Thanksgiving in New York with out going to the parade. It was cold! coldest Thanksgiving since 1901. The high was 27! The high! While we were out there it was 24 with a feel of 12. We came layered up from head to toe. We were actually comfortable except for our fingers and toes after a while. I am happy about that. Henry was the only one who was not happy, therefore you will see no pictures of him. Bless him. 

The parade was wonderful. There were a few new floats and balloons. We were showered in more confetti than we ever have been. Rapha was the darling of the parade. There was at least one (usually more) person from every group that came by who gave him a high five and blew confetti all over us. One piece of confetti almost took my eye out. There was one person who came by that did not give Rapha a high five, and he was surprised by that. He said, "Hunh? He did not give me a hi-five!". He is the cutest!

Bethany was here for a few days. She left too soon, had to catch a cheap flight. I get it, but we all wish she could have stayed longer, at least to feast on Indian turkey with us.






Babies! Who doesn't love a baby? hehehe. 





The cutest balloon, and the new one at the parade this year.

On our way to the parade, we saw this group of police officers making their way over. The kids recognized them, and were excited to see them again in the parade. 

Low riding balloons due to the cold. Toothless

My parade buddy. Held him the whole time. 
Goku power up!














New float, and my absolutely favorite one of all time. 


Bare Naked Ladies, and they were actually singing! Most of the time performers music will be playing and they will just be up there waving. These guys were the real deal, playing their instruments, and live vocals. It was awesome! The lead singer has a great voice. Wish they had stopped by us for a while. 







I love you, Olaf! 

We're still there! Not frozen yet. 


Excited about the Grinch balloon. We saw the movie that week, and loved it! The ending was weak, but the rest was good. Really sweet message. Wanting to go see it on our next $5 movie Tuesday. 

This guy is from the Macy's window display this year. He is super cute! The windows are adorable and I am excited to take the kids to see them. 

Now let the Christmas season officially begin!

So excited to see him! 
Lyndon is the best! Let's all chant that together. He gets up super early every year to save us a spot. He got up this year, not as early, because we figured the cold would deter the large crowd. It did. He blocked off our spot with masking tape. It was great. The rest of us did not get there till 8:30am (the parade starts at 9). Beth and I agreed it was the best parade experience we've had. It's all thanks to my man. What a mighty good man. He said now that he has his nintendo switch he loves waiting for things. He takes it with him and plays. He was more than happy to have time with his switch. The rest of us appreciate him all the same. 
Photos from the balloon inflation. 




Bethany and I checking out the Macy's windows. I love having visitors! Especially my sisters. 

My super buddies. These three are what I am most thankful for everyday of every year. I have been feeling so much love for them lately. They have been sweet and kind to each other more than usual lately. Fills my heart up with so much joy. I would be lost with out them in my life. Motherhood has brought me so much joy and fulfillment. I feel beyond blessed to have these little spirits as my own, to love, teach, spend time with. They are what I am most thankful for. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day