An NYC Christmas

A belated Happy Holidays from us. We spent this wonderful season at home. It was a wonderful Christmas.

We got out tree early from the corner store. They always have a lovely set up during the holidays. The kids insisted on carry it up to the apartment. I have got me some strong elves.

We visited Santa at Macy's and Nordstrom. Nordstrom is where the real Santa lives. I will write a post about that, because it is a really sweet story.

Had dinner at the Columbus Circle Holiday Market in the snow. My tradition is to always get a bratwurst from the German stand. The kids were saving a table for us, and kept running up to me, because mom=food (right?). The lady at the stand gave us advent calendars (for free) for the kids. It was a sweet gesture. A true Christmas gesture. Where is Tiny Tim to say, "God bless us, every one!"?

Walked down 5th Ave and saw the beautiful window displays. Bergdorf Goodman were awesome! I loved the chessboard and pinball widows.

Saw the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular with the Rockettes. We all loved it. I especially loved it when Rapha blew the Rockettes a kiss. I was not quite sure that is what he did, so I asked him. With the cutest smile that reached his eyes he said, "yes!".

Went caroling with the school. Lyndon was a hit. I had a parent come up to me this week telling me how good he was.

Made gingerbread houses. Proud of myself for getting everything together and making them from scratch. I was so tempted to buy the kits and make them, but the worry I have is if I do that then the "art" of it will be lost. Its passing a tradition down from my family to me, and it would be cool for my kids to continue doing that (if they want to).

Had a train filled weekend. Saturday we went to the New York Botanic Garden Holiday Train Show, then to the Holiday Train Show put on by the New York Transit Museum at their satellite location in Grand Central. Then on Sunday riding on  the nostalgia holiday train. The Transit Museum bring outs some of the old subway cars and runs them at certain time on certain tracks on Sundays during December. Our train car was built in 1938. The original advertisements are up, and it is just fun riding on history.

The kids participated in our Church's nativity program. Henry was an angel, while Rapha and Cosette were shepherds. I love that Henry wanted to be an angel and was really excited about it.

Christmas Eve we went to a Christmas service at a Catholic Church on the East Side. They put on a live Nativity every year and invite members of the community to participate. It was wonderful. I loved singing the carols at the end with all the angels in the choir. Beautiful night.

Christmas morning was nothing but wonderful. Excited kids, that let us sleep in till almost eight. Wonderful reactions to their gifts Santa brought them. Rapha received a Duplo LEGO train set with a battery powered train. Henry, a Ninjago ship LEGO set. "It's what I've always wanted," he exclaimed. Cosette was gifted her very own American Girl doll, Kaya. She screamed with excitement and they have been inseparable since.



Rapha's little face in this one. They were so excited for the tree. 

So excited, that they carried the tree....
....up to our fourth floor apartment.

First snow of the season, left the corner store Christmas trees looking extra festive.

I visited Santa more than the kids this year. 



Making cookies with me. We made a new recipe using Ghirardelli's peppermint baking chunks. Chocolate peppermint cookies, plus extra chocolate chips. By the way, this post is not sponsored.






How we wish we were spending Christmas, some where warm.
Ghost of Christmas present, anyone? Dolce and Gabbana windows.




Windows at Saks.




Beautiful stoop in our neighborhood.





Big smiles, because they are trying to tickle each other. 


Found the mountain yeti.

Out side our holiday train. 

Horrible picture of the ballerina pigs, but the boys love the Olivia books. She happens to dream a lot about the ballet. This was the Olivia scene. 



I am pretty sure she is thinking that Santa did good. He did. 







I am really grateful for the holidays. It is really nice to have celebrations, and especially one that centers around our savior's birth. Merry Christmas to you all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day