School Time: Chinese New Year Project

Gong xi fa cai! Happy year of the rat! My Chinese New Year activities were limited to helping out with a activity in Cosette's classroom. A group of us moms volunteered and we had a very fun mourning. 

I called upon Cosette's teacher in Singapore, who I am so lucky to still be in contact with (those teachers are the best!). I asked her what children in America should know about CNY. She gave me some great ideas and a cute video (ironically made by Panda Express) that gave a really good history behind all the CNY traditions. 

We decorated a lion head, practiced our Chinese calligraphy, had some traditional treats called love letters (they look like Pepperidge Farm Priouettes without any filling), hong boa (red envelopes) filled with chocolate coins, and have our very own lion dance. 

I put together the lion head, thank you Pintrest. I really enjoyed putting it together. The kids cut out red construction paper for the lion's fur. I got some paint pens, so that it was more like a calligraphy brush when practicing the Chinese characters. 

I was in charge of the kids doing the lion dance. I told them about how in Singapore we count down "1, 2, 3" and say "huata" to start the lion dance. Each table had their turn to do the lion dance around the class room. They got really good at yelling "huata". I had also borrowed some noise makers for the kids to shake while doing the lion dance around the room. As close to the real thing as we could get to in American classroom. 

The kids school does not have many opportunities to volunteer in the classroom. I am really glad we were asked and it is one of my favorite holidays to celebrate. 




I love these lion puppets another mom brought in.

Explaining out super awesome project.






Year of the rat hong bao. 

\


How does our lion compare to the puppet?
Angel baby.





"1! 2! 3! Huata!" 



The Mom's turn.

Rapha had his own lion dance at the playground later on.

Video below we shared with the kids about the CNY history behind the traditions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day