Girls Trip to Hong Kong

Hong Kong for spring break! Just me and Cosette. We went to visit friends over spring break. It was so nice to be back in that part of the world, and we had such a grea trip! I bought the tickets way back in July, super early, I know. It was hard to believe it was finally happening after waiting for so long. I was so excited!

We flew from New York to Beijing, then to Hong Kong. After a few days in HK we went to Singapore for a couple days, then back to HK, then a one day layover in Beijing, then home! Our flights worked out, so it put us on HK time pretty easy. 

Cosette and I got to catch up with our friends and spend a lot of time together. There was no pressure to get out and see everything because we have been to Hong Kong before. That made for a relaxing trip. We did do some new things, rabbit café, dinner at Maxims, and searching for opium jars at Tai Tam dam. Cosette says her favorite part was going to Disneyland. Can't blame her for that.

I enjoyed going out to Tai Tam. We went at low tide and searched for opium jars that belong to the workers who built the dam. We were very successful. They are tiny clay pots with lids that held the opium. It was a off beaten path experience. It's a very different Hong Kong out there than in the metropolis. There were a lot of beautiful birds. We saw tiny crabs, and a few dead fish. Lots of fun and lots of bug bites. I wish I had taken my phone out there to get pics. We had to cross a few streams, and I didn't want to chance losing it.

Another favorite was going to lunch at Maxims. It is famous for it's dim sum. It was great that we went, because I learned a lot about dim sum. I always thought it was a certain type of dumpling, but it is actually the name for these little appetizers. Hong Kong style tappas. They brought carts around with the different dim sum. We waved down carts and ate like kings. Perfect way to try a lot of a little of different type of foods. Beef wrapped in rice paper was a hit with Cosette. The mango pudding tasted like it was right out of the Philippines. Fresh, and delicious.  







At The Peak! We took the tram all the way up. It was so steep we were leaning all the way back in our chairs. It was really misty. We were pretty much standing in the clouds. 

Just after low tide in Tai Tam where we went looking for opium jars. 

At church on Sunday. I am grateful for ever we go there is always a place for us to worship. The world is such a small place. There was a family I knew from SG who was there visiting that day. It was nice to see them and catch up for a little bit. 

City in the sky.

Walking around Sham Shui Po, and there was a place getting ready for lunch. I am up for trying new things, but chicken feet....

….and snakes I can live without trying. 

Everyone needs to take care of the missionaries in their area. Marissa served her mission in NYC when Henry was born. She has since helped us get around in Singapore, and hung out with us in Hong Kong where she currently lives. I loved getting to spend time with her so much. And her Cantonese came in way handy. 


Bamboo sticks are used as scaffolding in HK. I find it fascinating. 

Coco requested we go to Disneyland. It was really fun. I love the international Disney's because they are way less crowded. We went on a Saturday, and the longest we waited in line was for maybe 30 mins, maybe. It is smaller, but I don't mind. We had a wonderful time. We went on the new Antman and the Wasp ride. Loved it! Ironman Experience, where we saved Hong Kong, the new Hyperspace Mountain, which are newer rides. We went on our favorites, Micky's Philarmagic, the carousel, etc. 

Our first trip to HK was exactly three years ago. We came to Disneyland then, and the Easter extravaganza was still up. It was fun to be back at the same time of year. 

Because the boys love Donald. 








We met Chewbacca and R2D2! We had five minutes to kill before our fast passes would work, so we did a character meet and greet that said there was a five minute wait. Expecting there to be a wait we kept walking till we turned a corner, expecting the line to start, but it was Chewy and R2! I kind of freaked out, haha. I am not a die hard Star Wars fan, I am a plan old fan, but it was SO cool meeting these two. Everyone was laughing at me because I was fan girling so hard. Definitely the best way to kill our five minutes. 



Mystic Manor, our favorite ride at the park. We went on it three times in a row. We love Albert the Monkey. We have a family picture from three years ago in this same spot. 


Her face in this is perfect! Also the caption. Cannot deny Disney's attention to detail. We were on a high after riding Big Grizzly Mountain runaway Mine Cars. Such a good roller coaster.  

First time at a bunny café. This bunny's name is Bread. There were several larger pens with rabbits in them. Only two were let out to roam the café at a time. Their fur was super soft. It was sweet. The girls really enjoyed it. 


Japanese style ice cream before we leave. It was amazing!
Friends! I am so grateful for this lady. She was a lovely host and introduced me to a new tv show that I have finished binge watching. She also snuck me some dark chocolate after the kids went to bed. Thank you!

Friends since they were babies. They were inseparable while together. It is so nice to have a friend where no matter how much time has passed, you pick up where you left things off. These girls have that. They are so lucky. 

We had friend time, mom and kid time, it was warm, great food, scenery. It was a great trip. It was really special to spend one on one time with Cosette for so long. Our relationship with each other is better. We are closer. I am so grateful for that. For her, good friends, and this beautiful world. When I travel I realize how much God loves us, because he has created this amazing place for us to live in. Go to Hong Kong if you ever have the chance. Eat Dim Sum, go hiking, and get some fabric to bring back to me. It is so cheap. Till next time HK. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day