Mondays can be Fun!: Our Spontaneous Boat Ride on the Seine

One of my favorite things about being a mamma is that I have total control over my schedule. I do not have to answer to anyone and can pretty much do as I like. Of course there are things that have to get done, but if there is no pressing deadline I can push it back a few hours. This allows me and the babes the flexibility to go and explore the world!

One particular fine spring Monday I really wanted to take the kids down to where the ile de cite begins. I had seen it so many times, the island just sitting there with a pretty little park/garden in the middle of it. Now that it was warmer there people would go down there to lunch, relax, soak in the sun, make out, etc. Everything in Paris looks romantic, but going down there seemed a just a little bit more romantic than usual. There is a tree at the point with the branches hanging over the water. Ah, such beauty can not be found anywhere else in the world.

To get there we walked down to the Seine and then along it till we reached the bridge. I had also been dying to take Cosette there to show her the equestrian statue of King Henry IV on the Pont du Neuf because of the giant horse. I thought she would like seeing it and voila, she did! I have to say she is such a rock star! I did not take the stroller there because it is not stroller friendly with the stairs and the cobble stones. Cosette walked the whole way. She is a rock star walker my friends. I just think it is awesome that my two year old can walk long distances like that.


Okay, so we are finally at the ile de cite! And guess what is there? The Seine Paris boat tours, which is another thing on my Paris bucket list! I had not planned on doing one that day, but my sweet baby girl begged me to go. She really wanted to ride the boat. And since I am wrapped around her little finger, I said  yes. How could I not? Plus, our time in Paris was running out and I had to start checking things off the list.

We were one of the lasts ones on and managed to find seats on top of the boat with a spectacular view of Paris from the water (I do not think it matters where you in Paris there are spectacular views wherever you look). It was such a fun outing. It is always a little nerve racking taking the kids out because I am never sure if Henry or even Cosette is going to have a meltdown. Especially when I am stuck on a boat and cannot get off. I am lucky and got such sweet natured kids. It makes outings like this possible.

We first passed under the Pont de Arts, where anyone can leave a lock on the bridge with their names on it with love to Paris. The Louvre is just right after the bridge on our right and the Institut de France de  on our left. Then we passed the street going to our flat (best location ever!). 

That is not our boat, but that is where we got on our boat. 

Paris has some of the most beautiful bridges. My favorite is the Pont Alexander III. If you are familiar with the city, it is the one that connects Hotel de Invalides and Champ Elysees. It has the most beautiful statues on it covered in gold. It is absolutely stunning! We went under the oldest bridge in Paris. It is right by Notre Dame on the Left Bank. Our tour guide gave us a little bit of history about the bridges, and the oldest one was made of wood and has burned down three times. We also went under one called the lovers bridge. You were supposed to kiss someone as you went under it, so Cosette and I gave each other a sweet little kiss. 
We passed the Eiffel Tower, our favorite! 

The Musee D'Orsay from the water. 

The view of Notre Dame was amazing! Cosette calls it "the church".

It is such a beautiful cathedral! This one made me fall even more in love with Gothic architecture than ever before. 
Doing things like this with my children, making memories, makes my love for them grow more and more. I am so grateful that I have the opportunity to be a mother. It is the greatest blessing in my life. Nothing has ever brought me more joy in my life.

The moral of this story is that Mondays can be fun! 

Comments

  1. Hello, just wanted to say, I loved this article. It was inspiring.
    Keep on posting!

    Here is my weblog :: Payday

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one good thing about going on a vacation in another country. You were able to experience the sights and sounds of a foreign culture. Especially in Paris, which is one of the most beautiful countries in the world. And in my opinion, the boat ride was a great idea, since it was a great way to see what Paris has to offer. And at the same time, your kids were able to experience something new in the process.

    Kent Garner @ Whites Marine Center

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a great way to see the city from a different angle. Plus, the guide told us a lot of history about the city and some great anecdotes that enriched our boat ride and time in Paris. And then you have to do things that the kids will enjoy. That makes the trip go so much more smoothly.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day