School Time: Raphael's in School


Raphael started going to nursery school a few weeks ago. He is going to the same school as Henry, in the younger class. He just goes two days a week for half the day. He has enjoyed it. He is really into playing with his friends. He gets excited when to go to church, because he gets to play with his friends, and now school. Every time I ask him what he did at school he says, "played with my friends". He takes his BB-8 lunch box, which is his prized possession, and loves to take it with him where ever he goes. He will ask if we are going to Henry's school. I will say yes. Then he says, "no, my school," with his heart melting smile.  His teachers keep telling me how great he is doing. They say it is like he has been going to school the whole year. 

As a mom, that is so great to hear. I am very pro nursery school. It is part of my village. I know I cannot do everything, and there are people out there who have talents in areas where I do not. I am so grateful that my children have had opportunities to go to school and have really positive education experiences from an early age. One thing I have had to learn, is that I have to make sure that my needs are being met. School is one way that helps meet my needs. My children are in a stimulating environment with great teachers who care about them, and do something that I am not good at or able to do.

Morning school scoot. 

The following photos are from the first day of school. Both boys going together. High fiveing, and hugging. It's been great that Rapha is at the same school. He already knows where it is and is comfortable there. I do not have to drag him away from the fun toys on the days he has school now. 


Before I even left on the first day, he was playing with one of his best buddies. He is acquiring many. 

When I picked him up on the first day of school He was Captain America, and smiling so big. I had to run after him to take him home. 

Celebratory pan au chocolate stop for a school day well done by everyone. 

Daddy was working from home that day, and got to join us for pick up. 

She is the original school lover. This girl has excelled so well academically. She has really proven to both Lyndon and I how important school is from our experience with her education in the US, and Singapore. 

It is so tempting to ride. Henry is known to get on any vehicle with wheels with an easily accessible seat. If we lose him at the airport, we know he is on one of the go cars. He is always on the nearest one, haha. 

The second school lover. We put him in school in SG after a friend suggested it. I was really struggling. My health was poor, Lyndon was busier than he has ever been, Henry was a two year old energizer bunny that would never stop going, I had a four year old, and a baby. I was over whelmed, worked, needed help. My needs were not being met (like sleep, eating, physical health) and I was spiraling.  

It was like Heavenly Father was speaking through this friend. School was an idea that had never occurred to me, and I do not know why because it seems so obvious in hindsight. I called Lyndon as soon as I got home and told him I was going to put Henry in school. He was supportive and thought it was a great idea. I went to the school that day, got him registered, and he started the following day. He calmed down a lot after starting school. He made a lot of cute friends. Learned so much. 

His teachers are some of the kindest, best women I know. I still cry thinking about his experience at that school in Singapore. School saved me, and those wonderful wonderful women loved my child. I knew that he was in a safe place with people who cared about him and wanted to succeed. I was able to meet more of my needs. It helped put me on the path to healing. 

His teacher was visiting NYC in the fall and we got to see her for a little bit before she left, which meant so much to me that she wanted to see him. I am able to keep in contact with them through whatsapp, and it is so wonderful to hear how excited they are about all that he is doing, and that they miss them.

(Post about their school in Singapore here. Post about Ms. Clara's visit here.) 

Running home on a rainy day after school. 

In summary, Raphael loves school. I am grateful for positive education institutions that help my children grow and develop. Our school is cool! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day