The Show that made Country Music Famous

 We are so lucky! You know why? We got to go see one of the greatest shows on earth at the Grand Ole Opry! I do not think I have ever been to a show that was more entertaining, and I am not the biggest country music fan (which is a crime being from Tennessee). The only thing that I would have changed would be room to dance because that is all I wanted to do while listening to that music!



It was such a thrill to be in a place where so many legends have performed. The music was fantastic. Those musicians can play! There was so much talent packed in to the show. I am pretty sure it is safe to say the whole family was in heaven. My sister Leslie said she was sure she was going to sleep but no. There is no way that show could have put anyone to sleep. Like I said I was in need of some dancing shoes and room to move.

My favorite was Charlie Daniels. I have never seen anyone rock a violin like he did nor play the piano like his piano player did. His fingers were flying so fast they were a blur. He closed with the Devil went down to Georgia so how could he not be everyone's favorite performer that evening.

We were blessed to hear the great Ricky Skaggs. I had only heard his name from my parents before that night. Apparently he is one of the greatest blue grass musicians there ever was. He was fantastic.
Enjoy him singing the Highway 40 Blues.


Highway 40 Blues from Christine Plothow on Vimeo.

The line up for that evening was awesome. I know I keep saying it was so good, but it was! We all left the theatre very very satisfied with the performance. The list of performers is as follows: Nashville Irish Step Dancers, Jim Ed Brown, Craig Campbell, Mike Snider, Bobby Osborne & The Rocky Top X-Press (video is below), Ricky Skaggs (video above), Steven Curtis Chapman, Riders In the Sky, Sarah Darling, Keith & Kristyn Getty, Opry Square Dancers, Bill Anderson, and Charlie Daniels Band. As you can see it aint no shabby list.


 

We got to debuts to some performers new songs they were thinking about putting on future albums, a thirteen year old play the banjo like a pro, and three generations perform on the stage that night. The way the performers were playing at the  Grand Ole Opry was like playing together at a family gathering. I do not want to describe it as informal, but as familial. A couple of times performers would jump in playing with another act during one of their ones. That is talent to not know a song and be able to join in like you have been playing it your whole life.

We were also surprised at how much gospel music was performed. I know that country music does include a lot about religion and God but I was not expecting so much at a performance like this. I guess I have not lived in the South for a long time. It is the Bible Belt after all. It was really wonderful to hear performers praising God and singing about Jesus in their music.

Another highlight of the evening was hear the Bobby Osborne & The Rocky Top X-Press play Rocky Top. I was filled with so much Tennessee pride (and pregnancy hormones) that I almost started crying. The performers asked the crowd to sing along and it was wonderful to join in singing our "state song". Lyndon even joined in. He is learning it. I hope you enjoy it as I caught it on video. Excuse the quality of the video and possibly my singing.

The Grand Old Opry show airs every Saturday night on the radio if you are interested in listening to a good show. You can probably catch it on line too. I think I will have to start tuning in to it on Saturday nights. Country music you are starting to grown on me. Oh, I wish I could go every Saturday night to the Grand Ole Opry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day