Indoor Gardening


We were really inspiring by the terrariums we saw at the Garden Festival back in July that we, well I , decided to make one with the kids. We already had an empty glass jar that would work perfectly for one we just needed to get the supplies. Thank goodness for the internet and pintrest. I got all the info I needed to make one on there. And I found out what type we needed to make. I choose to make one that did not need a lot of sunlight since I was not sure where it would be in the apartment. That type requires different plants from ones that are in the sun. And I found out while researching that if you have an open or closed terrarium affects the types of plants you use. My research was not extensive by any means. I gleaned enough information to know what supplies was needed. 

We live close-ish to street that is lined with large nurseries with anything you need for a garden. I did not realize how many there were. I knew of one just from glancing at it from the bus or a taxi one day. We do not walk as much as we did in NYC here because it is too hot. I find a lot of places by looking it up on line or seeing it from the bus/cab window. So I knew we lived close to at least one.

The first nursery we went to did not have the material and they told us to go next door. And the nursery next door had everything we needed. I asked one of the employees about where I could find materials for a terrarium and she was the nicest and helped us find everything. I needed some active charcoal and she said that they did not have any in stock, but gave me a small bag of it for free along with several little birds and frog figurines to place in the terrarium. She was so nice! We got the rocks for the bottom, the active charcoal, soil, and two begonia plants. Cosette was all about picking out everything. Henry was all about running around. We made it out without breaking anything, yay! 

We also picked out a couple of succulents for Lyndon's office. He had requested plants that did not need to be watered often. Cosette picked out a cactus and a echeverias succulent. 

There was a cold room with fresh cut flowers that we went in and picked out some to take home. Henry picked out a sunflower, I chose a white hydrangea, and Cosette picked a pink Gerber Daisy. For the life of me I cannot keep flowers a live. They lasted till the end of the week, but then were dead, dead, dead. However, the terrarium is thriving! I guess I can manage plants that require minimum maintenance.



Raphale and one of the neighbor kids at the playground. They were so sweet with him. Everyone here loves, loves, loves babies. 
 It was incredibly easy to put together. We went outside that evening and I assembled it. I tried to involve the kids, but they had no desire to help me (I am the little red hen). We put in the birds, frogs, and some sea shells that we brought back from Indonesia. It is awesome. It's not been broken, and resides in our master bedroom. It was a fun little project to do with the kids, and I think we are going to make another one, with Daddy this time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day