The Six Mile Whim

I ran a 10K a couple of weeks ago. I signed up for it on a whim. I was signing up for another race, when Grete's Great Gallop showed up on the side of the screen. I saw that it was the next week and in Central Park, so thought I'd go for it. One of the best decisions I have made. 

I have been in a bit of running block lately. Preparing for the race, gave me extra motivation to run longer distances. Once I completed the race I now have the running bug. It has given me a whole new love and motivation for running that has been reawakened. 

The race was wonderful. It was on the running path in Central Park, which I am very familiar with. It was easy to get to. I ran my heart out. I have not run that fast in my entire adult life. I flew the entire time. I could not believe it. Adrenaline kicked in immediately when the gun went off and I went for it.  I was astonished every time my running app would give me my pace, not believing I was running that fast an not tiring. Knowing the course like the back of my hand was tremendous, because I knew where all the hills were and how to best use my energy. I just used it all. I did have to walk for a few seconds in mile five, because I felt like I was going to pass out. That is the only time people passed me during the race. I managed to gather my strength and finish really strong. I picked up right where I left off, and ran my heart out. 

Lyndon and the kids waved me across the finish line. That was the best. Seeing them cheer for me made me want to cry tears of joy. I sprinted across the finish line and promptly found the medical tent to get a barf bag. That is how much I exerted myself. 

It was an incredible experience. My official time is 48:34. My average pace was 7:49 per mile. I finished 855 out of 6,063 finishers, 159 out of 3,160 Women, and 42 out of 651 in my age group. Really proud of myself. 

The best part was my kids seeing me cross the finish line. That is what kept me going. It was everything I thought it would be. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day