The Crown Jewels


A couple months ago, I went with some friends to Sotheby's auction house to check out some of Marie Antoinette's jewels. They were en route to a big auction in Europe, but of course could not pass up the opportunity to stay in our fair city for a bit. They were on show to the public for free, and I was not going to pass up an opportunity to see these babies. When we got there it got even more exciting, because we were allowed to try on all the jewels (except for the tiara. I was so bummed. Seriously so bummed.). It was awesome! I was holding authentic pieces of history in my hand, and on my finger. I kept thinking, "how is this even possible? These belong in a museum". I tried on one of her rings, and one of her father-in-laws rings (I think). That is what they told us it was. The rings had their initials encrusted with tiny diamonds. Under their initials was a clear covering (not sure the material), and underneath was pieces of their hair. Cool, but kind of gross. Not sure why they did that. I'm sure people will be looking at our modern jewelry in the future thinking the same thing. 

The entire floor of the auction house was dedicated to all their jewelry pieces up for auction. We were allowed to try on everything (except the tiara, ugh again). I tried on a flawless emerald cut ring the starting bid was at 3 million! I cannot believe they let us try it on! I also tried on a huge aqua marine. I was peer pressured into it, because I wore an aqua marine at my wedding. If I am going to be peer pressured into anything it might as well be to try on incredible jewels. 

We talked about what pieces we would want. I thought about something that was elegant and timeless. I found it! A beautiful bracelet with incredible detail that I will wear in my dreams. 

It was a wonderful morning spent. A New York only experience, which is making me giddy writing about it. 

Marie Antoinette's ring on my pinkie finger. As Lyndon would say, "kiss the pinkie ring!". 
Her father-in-law's ring. Kiss the pinkie ring again! They had really small hands because the ring only fit on all of our pinkie fingers.
More of Marie's jewelry.
At the very least, there is 3 mil on my finger right now. Can hardly believe it. 
The fabulous aqua marine I tried on. It was more than 100 carats. I believe they said it was 150 carats. I cannot believe they let me try it on. 

Upcoming auction events, Frank Sinatra's collection. 
The Rockefeller's collection. 

My favorite piece from the event. Classic, elegant, but unique all at the same time. See you in my dreams, you beautiful thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day