But First School


Catching up here from at least the past month. So much more from our summer to come, but first all about school. Cosette, Henry, and Rapha are all in school this year. In the same school too! It is not uncommon in New York for kids in families to go to different school. We were lucky that Henry got in Kindergarten last year, and then this year Rapha got a coveted spot in the school's Pre-K program! One drop off, and one pick up. It's pretty amazing. Coco is a 3rd grader, Henry a 1st, and Rapha a Pre-Ker. 



It has been an wonderful start to the school year. Henry's teacher is ah-maz-ing! I know there was some divine intervention in there. She usually teaches third grade, but moved down to first grade this year. We do not find out the teachers until the first day of school, and when people heard we had her they talked about how amazing she is.  Sh has lived up to the hype. Henry is doing so well academically. Emoji awards are given out everyday to the best writer, mathematician, etc. Henry has come home frequently with different emoji stickers stating the award. Twice in the last week his teacher has told me why he got the emoji award that day. I am so proud of him. I was so worried that it was going to be a year of kicking and screaming about home work, but none of that. He has read a complete series of Dick and Jane book we have, a total of 192 pages. I am so proud of this boy. He has so many kids he knows in his class from kindergarten, playground, pre-k. It is wonderful.


Third grade is being good to Coco. She is doing chess again after school, and loves it even more than last year, which is saying a lot. She has gotten 100% on all her Friday quizzes so far. She has been working really hard. She has talked about how third grade is different. She says a lot more is expected out of them. It is. She is growing up, and school is slowly, very slowly, getting a little more demanding. At meet the teacher night, they went over the cirriculum in her class, and it looks really fascinating. I am really excited about all the things they are going to learn about. They have a section on China, which I cannot wait for her to get to, so she can share about her experience on our trip this past spring. The New York City Ballet does an enrichment program with third grade at our school. In the new year their will be ballerinas that come every week and work with the kids on ballet. They will get to go see a performance at the NYCB too! I am so excited for her.



Coco's illustration for the school's bulletin board that says, "I am Strong". 


Rapha has been excited to go to school since he found out he got into the Pre-K program. He was so excited on the first day of school. The first day they just went an hour with a parent joining them to get acclimated. Then the second day was half day. Then the next week was full day with the parents allowed to drop them off in the class room. Now parents drop the kids off at the class room door. He is happy to go every day, and happy when I pick him up. He is so sweet, telling me he missed me and making sure I ask him how his school day was. His classmates are really sweet. They all have older siblings, so when we go to the big yard to pick up the older kids, all the Pre-Kers are running around playing together. It is the sweetest. He has made new friends and  doing really well. I love hearing his version of how his day went. The other day it was their quiet time, because he needed to lie down. 


The cuties.

Rapha is the cutie second to the left on the bottom row. I about died when I saw this. Cuteness over load. So many heart eyes. 

I have been catching up on sleep from the past eight years, and it is doing me good. I am also really involved with the school this year. I am in charge of the year book, class parents for two of the kids classes, volunteering for the book fair, and for the school library. I have had tons of school meetings, emails, even a conference call! My life has changed a lot in the last few weeks. I have entered in a new phase of life, and slowly finding my bearings. I am enjoying it so far. 

A few lot of my favorite photos from the past month.

Stumbled upon this beautiful sight. 

I love living here. When I can go to the Times Square and be back to the UWS in 15 minutes. I love it. 

Selfies with my Rapha. There is no resisting him. 


Squishy accompanied us on a doctors appointment.


This girl has gotten way into the American Girl series. This was taken a couple weeks ago. She has read all those books and then some more. Her words: I can read one in like an hour, Mom. 

Ice cream Fridays are going strong. 


Guys, after living in NYC for over seven years now, I finally met Spider-Man! Don't tell Lyndon, but I think he is pretty cute. 


Zen yoga in the water fountain. Kind of surprised the City has still left the water on at the playground. I am kind of over it, but the kids are still loving it, except when they have to walk home in the playground in the cooler temps. 

Faced palmed myself for getting the times mixed up for a girl scout meeting, but it turned out great, because I got to have a girls night with my favorite girl. 


We have already started getting ready for Halloween! The kids planned and executed their own Halloween party. They had meetings where they planned a haunted house, giving us all parts. Cosette made Rapha's zombie costume, by painting an old shirt of Lyndon's. They made invitations and passed them out to their friends. We had 12 kids total in our apartment monster mashing it up. It was so much fun. 

Watching Curious George Boo Fest. It is the second time we have watched it so far this Halloween season.


A member of our congregation reserved a baseball field in Central Park an invited everyone who could make it. We all had a chance to play. All three kids made home runs. It was so cute watching  Rapha and his friends play. He was so happy when he made his run. Lyndon closed out the night by pitching to all the kids. 

It is that time of year, so happy fall ya'll!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day