St. John the Divine Cathedral

We are so lucky to live close to the beautiful St. John the Divine Cathedral. It is the largest cathedral in the world by measurement and volume. And it is only a hop and a skip from our front door! One of the ladies I visit teach volunteers there and gives tours. Lucky for me because I got to go on one of her tours and learn so much about this beautiful beacon in our community. I used to walk by this place all the time and have been in a couple of times before taking the tour. I wish I had taken the tour sooner, or just spent more time around the Cathedral. The inside was absolutely stunning. It is a cathedral meant for everyone and anyone who wants to come and worship. There are seven side chapels along the end of the nave, each dedicated to a different group of people. Mostly those peoples who immigrated to the city. I did not know that there were the seven chapels and was kind of out of my mind with excitement. I wish Lyndon had been with me on the tour. He would have been in his element to the max. I ended up going again with Lyndon and the kids that weekend because I had to show Lyndon the seven chapels! The pictures are mixed up from both trips.

Cathedrals and churches, especially in the Gothic architectural style, have become a favorite of mine since we have been married. Lyndon is a architecture buff and when we lived in Cambridge we went to all the churches and cathedrals around the city, and the whole country. He told me all about the different architecture styles and what each thing in the cathedral in the church was. It was fun, except when he would quiz me about them, haha. It is very very Lyndon, and if you know him you will understand. We have kept up that tradition with all our travels, and whenever we can make it St. Johns. 
The first interesting fact that I will share with you is that the Cathedral is still unfinished. The construction on the Cathedral began in 1892 and continues today. Why? Well, like many church and cathedrals of it's stature there is a lot of funding required to build it, which is currently used for the congregational purposes. The Cathedral also had a fire that was pretty devastating which caused it to close from 2001 to 2008. So extra funding to restore what the fire had damage and the just to run the Cathedral are a couple reasons for its unfinished state. 
Entering the Spanish Chapel dedicated to those of Spanish heritage.
Cosette defiling the sacredness of the Spanish Chapel by standing on the alter.  
Close up of the alter in the Spanish Chapel. I love the relief sculpture of the last summer on it.
This sculpture is the artists representation of 9/11. I think the rubble in the case is from the Twin Towers. It is a very emotional piece. 
Love the homage to Saint Patrick.
That stain glass and those two handsome boys!
These sweet girls were so nice to Cosette. They were doing rubbings of the seals on the floor and let Cosette join in on the art. We came home with a couple that are now hanging up in their room. I appreciate those girls kindness to my sweet baby girl. 
The rose window.


The Phoenix sculptures that are on display right now. Another reason to love this Cathedral is that there is always some sort of art instillation going on. Right now there are these giant Phoenix's that are flying through the nave of the Cathedral. It is an inspiring sight. 
The Phoenix takes flight!
This makes me love this place even more. I think it is lovely that the Cathedral is there as a house of prayer for all different people and it is also an Episcopal Church (In fact, it is the Cathedral church of the Episcopal Diocese of New York) because churches should be sanctuaries.  They should be places we seek for refuge from our daily trials. My own church is that way for me, but I have refuge at other churches/cathedrals not of my tradition.This poet's corner really demonstrates that.
The Bishop's chair. St. John the Divine is the seat of the bishop in New York. 
The Cathedral apse. 
The Scandinavian Chapel was the largest of the chapels. Time allotted for the tour was up at this point so we did not get to spend as much time in it as I would have liked, but we still got to see all of it. 
The Scandinavian Chapel. The sculpture of the man in the middle is one of the first leaders of New Amsterdam aka lower Manhattan in the late 1600s.
The Scandinavian Chapel. This is the only out of the seven with a baptismal font.
The German Chapel was hosting an art instillation of all the different ways to pray. There were statues painted all sorts of different colors patterns representing different cultures and how they pray. I had to get a close up of the stain glass.


Here is a better picture of the German Chapel and art instillation.
The Irish Chapel. The windows were decorated in all sorts of Gaelic symbols. Nothing compared to St. Fin Barre's or St. Patricks but it is especially dedicated to all those with Irish heritage. 
When I saw this art instillation all I could think of was Jesus Christ, Super Star! And I think that it is Joseph and Mary. Definitely depicts them larger than life. 
This is the St. Savior Chapel which was my favorite. I think if memory serves me right that it is the chapel for all those with Eastern Europe, Middle East, African heritage. This was my favorite stain glass from the entire Cathedral. At the time I was there the light was shining through and the colors were coming out so vivid and bold. It was stunning, one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. If only pictures could do it justice. 
The ceiling in this Chapel was done in gold mosaics. Fit for a place to worship a king.
Gutzon Borglum, the architect of Mount Rushmore, designed these angels in this Chapel. He wanted to do female angels, but was not allowed so he made feminine male angels.
My wonderful tour guide and friends. She is the coolest lady. 
These columns were from upstate and brought down the river on barges and then once they reached the top of the island they were taken down Amsterdam avenue busting all the manhole covers. They weight 200,000lbs! And they are all one piece of stone. Pretty incredible.
The details that are everywhere are stunning. This gate! Ah! amazing!

It is fun being a tourist in our city.
xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day