Coney Island

I love being a zoo member because we have access to all sorts of neat experiences offered by the zoo/aquarium. I am kind of an animal nerd in that way. One of these events was a meet the sharks at the New York Aquarium down in Coney Island. I was ecstatic! Sharks fascinate me/terrify me. You will find me glued to the TV during Shark Week every year. I love it! I was not going to miss this chance to get up close and personal with these creatures.

We woke up early on a Saturday to get all the way down to Coney Island, and of course the weekend trains sabotaged us. The weekend transportation is the worst! The slower bus/train schedules and changes hinder a weekend outing. I grumble about it every weekend, okay rant done. Anyway, we did make it to the Aquarium late so we missed the encounter, boo. The boys were both wearing shark shirts/onesies. Lyndon and I agreed that we were happier getting up earlier than and going than we would have been if we had stayed at home.

We did get to see the sharks way up close. It was awesome! They are in a large holding tank right now while their new exhibit is being finished. You can walk right up to the glass and stare right at them as they swim by. There was also a giant ray inside. It was awesome! We were all mesmerized watching them swim by. It was really really cool to be that close to them. And really that is about as close as I want to get to them. People are friends, not food! 



He stuck his head out really far and I thought he was going to try and climb through the railing. I just thought it was cute. I love his blonde little head.
Me and my boys! Raphael is hidden under his red sun hat. I love that I can say boys now.

The sea lion show was the best. If that is all we had done it would have been worth it. It is spectacular and pure awesome. I sincerely mean it is pure awesome. Dancing sea lions, sea lions diving off high dives, and pretending to be sharks?! Pure awesome. Cosette loved it asking all sorts of questions about what the sealion was doing. We had a blast.

We lucked out because the Coney Island sand sculpting contest was going on that same day. We did a quick walk through by some of them. The contest went on all afternoon so we did not get to see them finished, but from what we did see there are a lot of  talented sand sculptures out there. You can check out the winners of this year's contest here









Coney's Cones finished off our outing. Perfect summer day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day