The 13.1 Mile Journey

Saturday I ran my first half marathon! It has been one of my goals for a long time. One of those things on my life's bucket list that would be cool to experience, at least try one time. I initially started this goal last year. I ran a couple of race last "fall" (because SG doesn't have fall) and have keep up the running since. 

When we moved back to NYC, I wanted to run some more races. I had reached eight miles while visiting my family over the summer, which for me was a long run (still is). I wanted to keep the momentum going. I downloaded a very simple generic training guide from pinterest, and that was my plan. I was very consistent up until a few weeks before the race (Henry got sick, then I got sick). The two weeks before I made sure I was consistent, because I wanted to be ready. The worst thing would to be stuck doing this race and it be horrible. It was worth all the consistency. 

Day before the race I was pretty nervous, and not really looking forward to it. I just wanted it to be 10am Saturday morning, because that meant I would hopefully be done. The race started at 8am, and my goal was to be done in two hours. 

Saturday morning, race day, I was really excited. That was a pleasant feeling. I was ready to run! Run my tail off, haha. 

The race was out in Bay Ridge Brooklyn, by the water. It was a perfect day for a race. It was freezing! But better to run in the cold than heat, is my preference. I got my number, shirt, bag check, shoe laces tied. I was ready. 

I lined up with the other runners kind of in the middle. The gun went off and we started running! I felt great. I felt so great! I had a few pump up songs I listened to to help give me a little extra energy boots, and I ran. I had my runkeeper app going, so it told me my stats every five minutes. I was pretty consistent. At first when it said my pace I thought, "whoa, hope I can keep it up", or "do I need to slow down?". I felt great, so I just keep running. 

The course was completely flat, which was great for a first half marathon. It was a double loop. We ran out 2.5 miles, then back to the start. Then ran 4 miles out and then back. I thought I would hate that, but it was not bad. We had stunning views of the water, Staten Island, Verrazano bridge. It was great. 

I was looking forward to seeing the 7 mile marker, because that meant I was over half way there. Then every mile marker looked better and better. Once  hit the 10 mile marker I thought, okay only 25 more minutes and I will be done (according to my current pace), and I can do that.

Things were great. I passed mile 11 with ease, but mile 12. Mile 12 was hard. At that point I kept telling myself I just had to finish. My legs felt heavy, almost a numb feeling. They were just going on their own through the sheer will power of my brain. I got there! I crossed the finish line! I did it! And I was so tired. I was pleased because I had come in under two hours. Made my goal. 

Lyndon and the kids came to the race. I was so happy to see them. Knowing they were going to be there and see the kids faces keep me going during the race. I knew they were going to be excited to see me. When Cosette heard I ran 13.1 miles she was impressed. I was impressed. I did it! It was so great. I could not have asked for a better race or cheer squad. 

When I saw the final results I was shocked. My final time was 1:46.48. I finished 51st out of 383 runners. I finished 10th place in my age group 20-29. And I was the 15 female runner overall to finish out of 213 women. I cannot believe it. I've had a big goofy grin on my face the last few days because of this. I am so proud of myself for completing this goal. 

It has been a long time since I have competed, and even longer since I have competed well. This race has set the bar high for me (ahh!), so I have to keep on being consistent if I want to beat my time next race. There is going to be another race. I do not know when, but t is going to happen. 

This race was longer than 13.1 miles. It probably started before I even thought about running one. My Mom is a runner. She and her running buddies would be out every morning training. They all have run marathons together, and demonstrated what it takes to achieve something like this. When I started training there was a lot of runs, long and short to get to this point. It has not been easy getting up early, or taking my boys in the stroller if I could not get out early that day. Or I have been pregnant, or had a new born, which made it almost impossible to do anything consistently (even showering). It has been a journey for sure. 

Manhattan view from the starting line.  

 I sent this picture to my mom before the race started. I think I said "here goes nothing" or something like that. 

The beautiful Verrazano Bridge that connects Brooklyn to Staten Island. We ran under it four times, so thank goodness it is so lovely. The course reminded me a lot of visit to Sydney, Australia. The water, the bridge, and it brought back lovely memories to keep me company on my run.

Victory picture! I did it!!!

I will never make it to the Olympics, which is my sporting dream. I will settle on my biting my half marathon medal pic instead of my 100m Butterfly gold medal dream pic. 

Best cheer squad and what keep me going to the end. I could not have done it with out Lyndon's support and help with the kiddos in the mornings. Grateful for him for helping me reach this goal.
Thank you to everyone who has congratulated me, and checked up asking to see how the race went. I am lucky to have all of you in my village. There are so many people who I could not have done this without. I might have done most of my training solo, but there were always those cheering me on and helping to motivate me even if they were not there. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day