Cosette's First Broadway

Last week I won Broadway lottery tickets for Aladdin! One of my 18 things to do in 2018 is to take Cosette to her first Broadway. I have been entering the lottery out every now and then to try my luck. Then it paid off. I won! It was like Christmas morning getting the winning email. To say I was excited is an understatement. I was on cloud nine, so excited. Did I mention I was excited? I was taking my daughter to see her first Broadway, and a really popular one at that. This experience is one of the highlights of my life. That might sound silly, but it was an experience I will never forget. I am so grateful I got to share it with her from begining to end. 

I kept it a surprise mostly. I did tell her it was a show. We ran from the train all the way to the theater. It was really fun running through Times Square hand in hand bursting with excitement. As close as to feeling like a kid as I have gotten in a long time. She was hoping for Anastasia, but was equally thrilled when she saw the huge sign for Aladdin


I kept telling everyone it was her first Broadway from the several guys at the ticket office to our usher in the theater. I was excited and I am a huge dork, haha. Everyone we told was really sweet and told her how excited they were for her. 


We had a box seat all to ourselves! Cosette called them tea cups. She was thrilled that we got to sit in one. She was able to talk without disturbing other people, get up and dance around to the music, and see the stage and actors clearly. Our "tea cup" made it the perfect first Broadway experience.

Her favorite character (surprise, surprise) was Jasmine. Jasmine is definitely a princess advanced for her time. She wanted to choose who she married, and be his equal ruling together.  Pretty good strong female lead there. I loved Genie. He was awesome! Very charismatic, and fit the part perfectly.He had me laughing so hard. Robin Williams would be proud.


View of our tea cups. We were sitting on the second level second from the stage. 

All sorts of shenanigans going on in our tea cup. 


Obviously there are some differences from the movie. There are few new songs. They play up Aladdin's mother's influence on him. My favorite song from the whole show was a new one called Proud of Your Boy. The lyrics were so sweet about him hoping that his mother will be "proud of her boy". Of course the favorites from the movie were in there, as well as a lot of the same dialogue, "Poof what do you need? Poof what do you need? Poof what do you need?". I love that line from the Disney movie and so happy it was in the Broadway. I love Genie!

 Cosette and I agree that our favorite part was the magic carpet ride. When they performed A Whole New World, I wish time could have slowed down for a bit. The lights were off, and the stage was covered in twinkle lights to create the night sky. I have no idea how the carpet was flying (stage magic). It was the best part of the show. I wish we could have stayed in that moment longer. That scene is what has stood out to me the most even days after seeing the show. Sadly, the song was not performed very well. The orchestra was at a lower volume, so it sounded more A cappella. Not as moving as it could have been, but you can't get everything. I went in with an expectation that it would not be as good as the Disney movie, but would be good in a different. It will not be the same due to the conversion from a movie to a stage production. I still really enjoyed it. Cosette told me the next morning that it was the best show. We give it two thumbs up.   


I let Cosette pick out a magnet as a keepsake for her first Broadway. She picked out one of the lamp. It is proudly hanging on the fridge where we can see it and always remember this night. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day