National Orchid Garden


When we were living in NYC, during one of my Mom's visits the NYC Botanical Garden was holding their annual orchid show. My Mom really wanted to go, but ticket prices, times, etc it didn't work out and we didn't go. We made up for that by taking a tour of the National Orchid Garden at the Singapore Botanic Gardens. Every third Saturday of the month they do free tours of the Orchid Garden with cost of entry, but that is nothing since the Orchid Garden costs $5 SGD. I love where we live in SG because we are so central. It makes us close to a lot of things, like the Botanic Gardens. Only three MRT stops away! Lyndon took the kids for the day because he is the best and also because he misses them during the week. And we have been gone for so long there was much needed daddy-kid time. My Mom and I got to have the whole day to ourselves to sight see and relax. It was such a treat. I am going to miss her when she goes back home. Lots of rambling going on so I will get back to our Orchid tour. 

We made it just in time to catch the 10am tour. Our guide was really good. She made a lot of jokes and has been a volunteer at the gardens for a while. She said her name translates into flower. Anyway, she was a hoot and was very knowledgeable about the orchids which enhanced the experience. 

The gardens were so beautiful. I had not been yet because I just hadn't. It was on the list, so thank you Mom for giving me an excuse to make it happen. She is a nature person. The gardens were stunning. And we saw all sorts of different types of orchids including the largest orchid in the world, the Tiger Orchid, which can weigh up to 700 kilos. 

Like Singapore, our group was very diverse. We had locals Singaporeans, New Zealanders, Americans, Indians, etc. Singapore is so diverse it is always interesting to see what kind of people will come together. 

I found out on the outing that my Mother had orchids in her wedding bouquet. I am guessing that is why she is so keen on seeing them. They hold a special place in her heart, and now in mine. When I see them now I think of her. 

Selfie stick magic. 


Free ranging chickens in the gardens. 


We saw two monitor lizards while we were out. One was hiding on the fountain right when you walked into the orchid garden. It was small and blended in really well to the rocks, so you had to look to find it. The second one we saw as we left the gardens. It was crossing the path over into an area that had been fenced off by that plastic fencing with the holes in it used by construction crews. It tried to climb through it and got its head stuck and for a brief moment I thought "Oh no! I want to save it, but I don't want to get to close to it. i am not sure what is going to happen if I do". Lucky for everyone, it managed to get its head out and find a spot to go under the fence. And not I am super anti things like that in nature, like those plastic things that connect Coke cans. Seeing it come close to harming an animal makes me want to go out and save the animals and monitor lizards. 

This tree is dedicated to Nelson Mandela. 

These orchids are called "dancing ladies" because the flower looks like a lady's skirt. 


 The Tiger Orchid. It was not in bloom, but it was still gigantic.














 A picture of orange orchids for Ellen. Whenever I see just about anything orange while I am out I think of her because it is her favorite color. 

 This is the national orchid of Singapore. It is called Vanada Miss Joaquim. 




 This one was growing on a tree. The plants here are so fascinating. We will see large plants growing on tree trunks. It is so different from things we are used to back home, or just different because moss grows on trees, but not these plants with leaves the length of your body. 

 Our guide described this orchid looking like a Crocs shoe.











It was really special to spend some one on one time with my Mom. She looked so beautiful. She does not give herself enough credit with anything. She is an adventurous, creative, intelligent, kind woman no matter what she might tell you. Ever since I got married and became pregnant with Cosette our relationship has become really close. She completely understood what I was going through because she was pregnant with me when they first moved to Japan and could understand being pregnant in a foreign country (we were in England at the time) with your husband being busy with work, or in my case school. I can go to her with anything and she has the wisest responses and perfect solutions to problems or things I am trying to figure out. Our relationship is not perfect, but it is one that I know I can count on always. I am so grateful for that. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day