My Brief Meeting with Patricia Wells

I had the wonderful opportunity to hear Patricia Wells speak at the American Library in Paris. She is a modern day Julia Child, and even knew Julia Child. This lady is the bee's knees when it comes to food. She is an American who moved to Paris with her husband about 30 years ago. In her early career she was a journalist for the NY Times on art before she started to write about food. Now she is a food critic, a writer of 15 books (mostly cook books), and the only American ever allowed to be a food critic and food writer in Paris. What a lady!

I have to confess that I did not know who she was before this event.I was at the WH Smith book store, which is one of the only English book store in Paris, browsing in the cook book section. There was a huge selection of Patricia Wells cookbooks there and I opened one up wondering who this lady was. I read the preface of her book Simply French" and immediately thought a like minded person. The way she was describing her feelings about food and cooking are very similar to mine. Then I looked up and there was this little flyer advertising the event. 

That was it. I had to go. I am so happy that I went.! 
Patricia Wells and Ann Mah spoke at the event about their new books The French Kitchen Cookbook and Mastering the art of French Eating. It was a fantastic and inspiring experience. The two women went back and forth asking each other questions and I learned a lot. Sad to say I found out that Ann does not like the Cronut.The even was on writing about food and Patricia said that it is important to write about something you are passionate about and excited about. That stuck out to me the most, not sure why but there you go.  Both of these women have similar backgrounds in that they both really discovered food when they moved to foreign countries because of their husband's work. Both mentioned the comfort that food gives a person and that is something that is kind of universal where ever you are. You have to eat. I know when we lived in England is when I really started to truly love cooking. I very much enjoyed hearing these two women speak. 

I really enjoyed getting out and having an evening almost to myself. Henry came with me. Everyone loved him! He was my cute ambassador for the evening. I am pretty positive that he enjoyed the talk as well because he keep making his cooing noises the whole time. At one point in the conversation he make a cooing noise and Patricia Wells answered him and said "that's right". He was very much adored by everyone there. 

Me and Miss Patricia. I had this whole speech prepared in my mind of what I wanted to tell her when it was my turn. Of course, the moment I got up there it left my brain. I did not say anything intelligent or great. I think I said, "My mother's name is Patricia". Good one Christine.

I did purchase The French Kitchen Cookbook and she signed it! I cannot wait to get back to a proper kitchen because the one I have right now is pretty basic. I feel very blessed to have met her. Oh Paris, the adventures we are having together! I love it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day