Chateau du Fontainebleau

We made a trip out to Napoleon's Chateau just out side Paris. A friend recommended it to us since we really enjoyed visiting Versailles. The chateau is not quite as grand as Versailles is, but let's be real. Nothing is as grand as Versailles. The grounds here are much larger and the main attration according to our friend. Sadly, we did not get to see much of the grounds. The French work on their own time schedule as I am sure you have been told. It said on line that the grounds would be open, but when we got to the grounds the gates were locked. Not sure why because it was such a lovely day. The tea room was also closed. It said online that it was open, but when we got there the doors were locked! We are used to "Mormon standard time" so I guess we can get used to going on French time.

We did see most of the house. Sometime I wonder what our problem is because we did not make it to Napoleon's section of the chateau. There you can see his uniform and that the rumors are true, he was a tiny man. I thought we had seen the whole thing and both kids were done which had me pretty wiped out and Lyndon did not tell me that we had missed Napoleon's wing until we were on the train headed home. What is my problem? How did I miss that? My excuse for myself is that I have small children which takes up all my focus and nothing else in this world matters or is noticed. Oh well, we still saw the chateau and it was a pretty incredible chateau. I want one. It just gives me another excuse to come back to France.  
Henry had the biggest grin on the train ride out there. He had just turned seven months old (on Saint Patrick's Day) when this photo was taken. Seven months old! I can hardly believe it. He has grown up and changed a lot. Sometimes I want him to stay little forever, but I love watching him grow and develope into his own little person. He is the sweetest heart there is. 
Here we are in what I call the long hallway. 
Lyndon and Big H standing next to the royal monogram "F" on the wall. 








The ballroom. I bet there were some pretty glamorous balls thrown here back when the chateau was in full use. I wish I could have seen it. I wonder if it would meet my expectations? 


I love this chandelier. It is in the ball room, but looks like something from a hunting lodge with those stages bounding off the sides of it. 
She asked to have her picture taken here. That is why she is looking and smiling at the camera. I love it.
The ceilings in these places are incroyable! The attention to details like this I wish was prevalent in American architecture.
Another ceiling. You can't blame me for taking another picture of it because just look at it! When do you see ceilings like that? Not every day, I can tell you that. We are taking advantage and documenting all this beauty in France.






Fontainebleau is important not only because Napoleon chose this chateau for his home, but because it is the only royal French palace that was inhabited for seven centuries. Lots and lots of French royalty lived here from the Capetians to the Orleans have lived here. Not your ordinary chateau. 
My little horse lover with a picture of a horse.
The information on the plaque said that one of the more famous royals was born in this room. I wish I could remember his name, but I do remember a royal was born in this particular room and there were a lot of people in there. Can you imagine giving birth to an audience? That is something I would most definitely pass on, especially if I was royalty. I would totally make a decree that would give me privacy when giving birth. I do not think that is to much to ask.  


Throne room. Just call him King Lyndon.
The last room in the house we visited was the chapel. I think it would be so nice to have a chapel in our home, especially one that looked like this. Beautiful!
The stair case in the front of the house is a masterpiece of a staircase if I ever saw one. It deserved a couple of pictures.


Inside the courtyard.
We did get to see some of the grounds from a far. 




These two are best buddies. She loves her Daddy so much and he adores her. I have never seen a man that adores his children as much as Lyndonl. He is wrapped around her little finger. It is such a joy to watch them interact together. Sometimes I wish I could join in on their little daddy-daughter club, but his time with her is limited because he will start work in the fall. This is their time to be together. I am just glad I get to watch it. 


The Mommy and the Babies picture. Another great family memory has been made!

Comments

  1. So fantabulous! Thank you so much for sharing your fun with us. I love your babies, they are absolutely beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you used fantabulous, haha. Anytime. I enjoy writing about it. If I could I would journal as a career. Thanks for reading.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Half Way around the World

Remote Learning Part 1

Valentine's Day